Default Alternative to windows 8

Hi all

I guess this question will have a myriad of different opinions but a general view would be great.
    As you know I'm running 'xp pro' and I am very reluctant to have to look at other systems although
    I know i will have too sooner or later but as far as i can see Windows 8 is a no-no, for me anyway.
    I have done a little research and i have found that if i have to move forward then only as far as Windows7
    is ok or move away from Windows to Linux(abuntu).
    If i go to Linux can i load the system on my existing PC with xp loaded as well.
    Really looking forward to your views and advice.

Best regards

Cremora
    Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU, E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 2.52GHz, 2.00GB of Ram.Used Space 10.3GB, Free Space 222GB, Capacity 232GB.

Blog Entries

I could be wrong but did you mean ubuntu?

Dual-Boot Ubuntu

If you want to use Linux, but still want to leave Windows installed on your computer, you can install Ubuntu in a dual-boot configuration. Just place the Ubuntu installer on a USB drive, CD, or DVD using the same method as above. Once you have, restart your computer and select the Install Ubuntu option instead of the Try Ubuntu option.Go through the install process and select the option to install Ubuntu alongside Windows. Youíll be able to select the operating system you want to use when you start your computer. Unlike with the Wubi method, thereís no disk performance penalty because youíre installing Ubuntu on its own partition. However, this does make Ubuntu a bit more difficult to remove Ė you canít just uninstall it from the Windows Control Panel if you donít want to use it anymore.

They are numerous other options too
    5 Ways To Try Out and Install Ubuntu On Your Computer

Hope that helps,,,if not just ask

BTW: Win 8 Pro is an excellent option as well..IMHO
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Hi abseh1

Thanks for your reply and yes i did mean Ubuntu (I stand corrected)
    I will follow your advice and study the options also, checked out the link and
    I found that to be excellent too.
    My comments about Windows 8 is solely on consumer reports and not from experience
    and i realize now that it may be a bit of a sore point for anyone to comment so I
    apologise for that.
    I always get excellent advice from all you at H2G and thanks so much

Have great day and regards
    Cremora
    Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU, E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 2.52GHz, 2.00GB of Ram.Used Space 10.3GB, Free Space 222GB, Capacity 232GB.

Blog Entries

Good luck...I have been using Windows 8 Pro for over a year....it is Win 7 on steroids
    This is a bit of a drift away from your thread...But;

I refuse to listen to the Start button complaining in Win 8

It is fine ...just stay on the desktop if you are no a touch user and it is fine

I do use the metro UI for starting some apps and programs....It is a great OS.... IMHO

Blog Entries

I will admit Win 8 is not as good as Win 8 Pro and has less options
    ($199.99 is a bit much...may be best to wait until you need a new computer?)
    Last edited by abseh1; 06-23-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Hi abseh1

Thanks again for your response, I'm quite happy with xp pro and intend staying with it on my
    desktop as long as i can, but I am thinking of getting a laptop also and notice they all come
    with Windows 8 that's when i looked into the Windows 8 thing, since I first posted on H2G
    I have just heard that Microsoft have brought out and update.......Windows 8.1....... which
    is suppose to have the start button re-installed due to public demand.
    Anyway as you say I think I will wait a while before jumping in.

Thanks again for your help and advice

Regards Cremora

Blog Entries

I understand....many still use Win XP and Win XP Pro

When you are ready....I would ask for Win 8 Pro...it is quite different from just Win 8

You are correct an update similar to a service pack called Win 8.1 is coming....the update will be free

The start button will probably be different than what you are familiar with in Win XP Pro...see below
    Windows 8.1′s Start Button Isn’t A Start Button | TechCrunch