Default Computer restarting without warning

Hi! this is my first time posting to this forum, or any sort of help forum for that matter. I'll try and be as detailed as I can with my problem.

So I build my rig about 2 years ago, and for the last 6 months it's been having an issue where it reboots during video games if I play them for over an hour (sometimes it takes several hours for this to happen). The screen immediately goes black during these reboots (windows does not do it's usual shut down process), and then restarts. Lately my computer has even been entering a cycle of reboots when this happens, it will reboot again sometime before the loading windows screen appears, and continue to do this until I shut the machine off for at least 10 minutes.

There are 2 other situations where my computer reboots as well.

One of them is when I plug the computer into my television using an HDMI cord. After about 30 minutes of playing a movie the computer will force reboot as previously described. My computer does not restart like this when playing videos using my monitor instead.

The other situation my computer restarts is when it goes into sleep mode, again it's exactly the same kind of reboot - though this won't enter the reboot cycle the other 2 scenarios have.

Here are the details of my machine.
    GPU: GeForce GTX 560
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
    Memory: 7.98GB RAM
    Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4

I'm using 2 monitors, one is a 24" 1920 by 1080 resolution monitor, the 2nd monitor is 1280 x 1024
    My TV is 32"

I thought it might be a heat issue, but I find it strange that my computer only started doing this recently. I have cleaned the computer out with canned air, so it shouldn't be dust blocking the fans.

Anything you might think it would be could be a great benefit! Not sure if I need to replace a part, or if the problem is simpler than that (I hope it is!).

Oh and my graphics drivers are up to date, I know that tends to be a common suggestion.
    Last edited by Cocobananza; 06-22-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Disclaimer: Do not open or work on a PSU without knowing the dangers

In my experience, the power supply is very often the first thing to fail as a computer ages.

You can test a power supply yourself manually using a multimeter or you can purchase a power supply tester to perform an automatic PSU test.

Both methods are equally effective ways of testing a power supply so which one you choose is completely up to you.
    more info
    How Do I Test the Power Supply in My Computer?

Also, You can have your PSU checked @ a mom and pop computer store

They will expect you to buy the needed part from them in most cases
    Last edited by abseh1; 06-22-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer