Default Windows Defender

Please can you help? I think I've inadvertently 'deleted' Windows Defender from my programmes? I'm running Windows 8, 64bit. This is a whole new Operating system for me. In the process of negotiating & learning how it works, I was looking at what programmes had been installed & noticed 'Windows Defender', I thought this was some rogue programme that had been downloaded from the internet, and because I didn't recognise it or understand it I uninstalled it...whoops! I later discover that actually, 'Windows Defender' is part of Windows 8 & does the same job as any other anti-virus programme. Like an idiot, I uninstalled it. I tried to reinstall it from Microsoft but then I was presented with the message, "not compatible with your system", and I'm given the option of downloading 'Windows Defender 64bit', so I proceed to download this & then get another message saying, "Windows Defender not needed because it is already 'built' in to Windows 8", the installation is then cancelled? When I've checked the programme list on Windows 8 'main page', I see that 'Windows Defender' is indeed an installed programme, but when I've opened the programme it tells me that 'Windows Defender' is turned off (clearly not good). Please can anyone advise me how I turn 'Windows Defender' on? After I installed Windows 8 on my system I then installed (downloaded) Avast antivirus 2013 which is running fine, but do I need to uninstall Avast in order to turn 'Windows Defender' on? Please can you advise? Thank you for your time.

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

Try uninstalling Avast then restart the computer. Then see if Windows Defender is running. In Task Manager Windows Defender is listed under 'Antimalware Service Executable'

I haven't looked into it a extensively but from what I had gathered in Windows 8 you can not just uninstall Windows Defender because as you found it is integrated into the Operating System. I don't think it's very easy to disable either but installing Avast may have disabled it.

Personally I have been using MSE/Windows Defender since Windows 7 and it has done just fine. I have no plans on switching or trying to switch.

After uninstalling Avast you may want to run this to ensure all traces are gone.
    Alwil Avast:

You may want to try Windows Updates if it isn't running like it should. Open Internet Explorer and go to www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com for instructions.

If that doesn't work you can try this. Fix: Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 | 8

Windows 8 also does not update like previous versions of Windows. You have to check to see if they are available and that is something I don't like at all. I use a small tool called Windows 8 Update Notifier that saves me the headache of figuring out when updates are available.

Be sure to look at the see the documentation page for install instructions and Screenshots.

The new version is much better then the first one and allows for Windows Defender updates to install automatically.

Windows Update Notifier - Home

Features - Is shown as a icon in the system tray
    - Inform about updates via a popup
    - Search for new updates every hour (by default)
    - Open the windows update dialog by clicking the popup (or via the context menu)
    - Disabling popup-notification temporarily (updates will be searched but no popup will be shown).
    Can be useful for disabling notifications during presentations.
    - If connection to the update-service can not be established, retry every 30 seconds. for 10 times.
    - Four icons states: "searching", "updates found", "no updates available", "not connected"
    - Settings dialog for changing update interval and configuring the app as auto startup.
    - Select between two popup-styles: The Windows 7 Style and the Metro Style.
    - Support for automatically installing Windows Defender updates

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evilfantasy For This Useful Post:

Just a follow up,

For the first time in the history of Windows, you’ll enjoy protection from viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, rootkits, and other malware from the very first day you turn on your Windows PC--without spending a cent. Windows 8 comes with an updated version of Windows Defender that includes traditional antivirus functions in addition to the spyware protection.

Of course, you may disable Windows Defender and use another antivirus utility that promises better protection and more features.
    So by installing Avast as you indicated it most likley disabled Windows Denfender. You could keep Avast and be ok, or you could uninstall Avast and that would restart windows denfender, Personaly I'd get rid of avast and keep Windows defender since it comes built in to Windows 8.

Joe

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    Personaly I'd get rid of avast and keep Windows defender since it comes built in to Windows 8.
    I agree.

When I first got Windows 8 I had no clue as to how it worked (it took me about 10 minutes to find the Control Panel). I tried installing an antivirus and a warning popped up about Windows Defender bla bla bla. Some searching revealed the news of it being the new MSE and is part of the OS. It's done just fine for me. The Windows 8 Update Notifier is a great addition. Windows Defender usually updates the definitions twice a day and sometimes 3 or 4 times a day so you are always up to date against the latest threats.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

7. The Following User Says Thank You to evilfantasy For This Useful Post: