Default BSOD Issue. Cannot Access Safe Mode.

My computer recently had a bsod. I was playing games and it crashed. I proceeded to restart and received this.
    photo.jpg
    Then I try to boot in Safe Mode it gives me this.
    photo (1).jpg
    Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

Welcome to H2G Dousellz.

Ox0000007B (0xF789E524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I'm assuming this is Windows XP?

Quote Originally Posted by Duosellz View Post
    My computer recently had a bsod. I was playing games and it crashed.
    That doesn't sound good at all. That error is most commonly related to a hard drive failure or a very nasty virus.

All of the answers I find when looking up that error code pretty much point to the same advice and none of it is a quick fix, if it can be fixed.

Microsofts answer. Advanced troubleshooting for "Stop error code 0x0000007B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE)" errors in Windows XP

If you are still unable to boot into normal or safe mode to get to the System Recovery options or the Recovery Console then you can first try a Repair Install with your XP Installation CD (not a "System Recovery" disk but the Installation CD that has Windows on it) if you have it.

Next you can try a Rescue CD to see if you can get into the system then scan for malware. I'll list a few different options.

If you are familiar with Live CD's then that is also an option. If the hard drive has failed you may need to use this to try and retrieve your personal files so they aren't forever lost.

And that is about as far as I can take you. If you have questions someone who is familiar with diagnosing/fixing or doing salvage work on failed hard drives will be better suited to answer.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Thank you for the reply. I did have my installation Cd for XP, but I did not have an option to repair. Instead I reinstalled XP. I had partitions for my files so most of my files are still there. I reinstalled my drivers and I noticed that whenever I install my Graphics Driver for my Nvidia Geforce 9800, my screen would turn black after bootup/restart. I tried the latest version, v314, v180, and v170ish. The first three gives me a black screen. The last one gives me a black screen similar to the first picture. During bootup, I have patterned dots. Does this mean my GPU is broken?

I'm not sure on the video driver. All I am sure of is when a video card does fail it can cause all sorts of issues that would seem unrelated to a video card. If the video driver works fine before trying to install the updates then I would suggest just leaving it as is. Driver updates become available but that doesn't mean that they are compatible with every computer setup. Many people say that when it comes to driver updates if it's not broke, don't fix it.

For the System Recovery options XP machines usually don't come with the Recovery Console installed by default so you may want to do that yourself just in case. How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

I can't find the old drivers anymore and I think all my problems started because of the nv4_disp file which is part of the video driver I had.

I found this. How to Fix a NV4_Disp Bluescreen. I'm not sure if that is of any help to you or not.

Do you know the specific name/number of the file or driver you do need? I may be able to help you track it down.

Just a thought here but have you tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers then restarting the computer to let Windows load up and use the Windows display drivers as opposed to the nvidia driver(s) that seem to be causing the blue screen?