Default Copy and Paste dropdown menu grayed out

Out of the blue, during the last few days I can't paste anything I've copied from a website either into a search bar or a Word document. I right click and "copy" from the dropdown menu and then when I right click again to paste, Cut/Copy/Paste and Delete are all grayed out. Within Word, however, copy and paste on the right click menu work as normal - the problem only appears to be with information I copy from a web page.

I use StartPage and thought I might have changed something in the settings but I've checked and everything looks like the default settings and in any event, I can't see any options that might have this effect.

I've done a search for this problem but everything I've found relates to programmes I don't have, so a bit stumped.

Does anyone have any useful ideas please as it's driving me mad!

Thank you
    Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Steph,

You don't mention which search engine you're using .. I take it this only happens when copy from a web site (or did I misunderstand?). If it's happening in say FF, does it still happen when using IE?

Hi Canuck, thanks for replying

I use Startpage as my search engine as it uses google results (but doesn't store search terms or IP address) but I checked the settings and they're unchanged from what they've always been so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

I do use FF but didn't think to check to see if the same thing was happening with IE! I'll do that and post back.

Steph

PS For anyone that values their privacy online, I thoroughly recommend Startpage - google results but anonymous searching and no data user stored and a proxy option on results : https://startpage.com/eng/

Their sister search engine Ixquick offers the same privacy features and proxy option on results but uses a number of other search engines (but not google) to supply results : https://www.ixquick.com/

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steph For This Useful Post:

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

Something similar like this happened to me once a long time ago only I lost the entire Right-click function. It turned out to be a buggy Firefox add-on called 'Menu Editor'

If you have installed any new add-ons I would try uninstalling them first. Or start Firefox in Safe Mode to see if it's still happening. If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode then you will know it's an add-on causing it.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

6. The Following User Says Thank You to evilfantasy For This Useful Post:

Hi EF, thanks for your reply.

As you'll probably see in my Help! thread, I wasn't paying attention and clicked on Start FF Fresh instead of Start FF in Safe Mode and deleted all my bookmarks and addons - not clever

I'll come back to this thread and reply once I've sorted the other problem out!

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Ouch!!!

I try to remember 4 backups that I do manually every 2 or 3 months. They have saved me plenty of grief at least once each. Backups for my Firefox bookmarks, a backup of the Google Shortcuts add-on, a backup of my Object Dock settings and the most noteworthy, MozBackup which backs up your entire Firefox profile.

Even if a MozBackup file is a few months old it can still be a major benefit when it comes to an entire profile being restored.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

9. The Following User Says Thank You to evilfantasy For This Useful Post:

Well, this seems to have resolved itself for the time being and I have no idea what was causing it. Looks like it may have been an addon as you suggested EF and having to reinstall them all solved it? I'll wait and see if it happens again and post back if it does.

Thanks for your help

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph For This Useful Post:

It does sound like a buggy add-on. But who knows.

I would run MozBackup now though while you have a working profile just in case!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to evilfantasy For This Useful Post:

Done

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11