Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windows 7 will not Boot on Toshiba Laptop

Toshiba laptop – Windows 7
    AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile M520 CPU Speed: 2300MHz

On vacation, went to shut down, computer instantly started a Windows Update. Couldn't wait for update to complete due to travel, and did a press & hold of the on/off button to force shut down of computer. It is unknown what Windows Update was being installed.

Hours later went to turn computer on, it goes to the Starting Windows screen, sits for a period of time, shows the Toshiba screen (which quickly provides option to F2 or F12) then automatically goes to Windows Error Recovery Screen. On Windows Error Recovery Screen, gives two options: System Repair or Boot Windows Normally. The first nine attempts, I chose System Repair. Once complete it then gives a box that states: “Startup Repair Cannot Repair this computer automatically” gives options to ‘Send info about this problem’ and ‘don’t send’. Finish Button (which shuts down computer when selected) This window also provides “View Problem Details:”

Problem Signature screen appears with:
    Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
    Problem Sig 01: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Sig 02: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Sig 03: unknown
    Problem Sig 04: 21200772
    Problem Sig 05: AutoFailover
    Problem Sig 06: 17
    Problem Sig 07: Bad Driver
    OS Verison: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

I attempted to restore back to a previous state twice (two different dates). System stated it was successful, upon reboot, still went back to the Windows Error Recovery Screen.

I attempted to boot in Safe Mode by selecting F8. Did this multiple times, selected different options each time: Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/Networking etc. Also attempted Enable Boot Logging, and Last Known Good Configuration. All choices return to the Windows Error Recovery Screen.

Upon further research online, made a Windows 7 64-bit Repair Disc off another computer. (Please note: not sure if the Toshiba laptop is 64-bit or 32-bit).

Attempted to boot from disc. Upon boot up, had to select F2 to change the boot settings to run from disc first. Followed onscreen instructions. First box to pop up was System Restore. Selected that. Did not work. Attempted to boot from disc again, this time when it prompted to do a System Restore, I cancelled and hit ‘NEXT’. After it completed it went to the System Recover Option Screen with these choices: Startup Repair / System Restore / System Image Recovery / Windows Memory Diagnostic / Command Prompt / Recovery Management.

At that point I chose to restart computer and went back to Windows Error Recovery Screen.
    Of course we do not want to lose the data that is on this computer. We do not want to attempt to restore to factory defaults since this computer is not backed up (in a recent state). Obviously, desperately need help.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Did you ever try boot windows normally....that option was given because you did a hard shutdown? (held power key in)
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Yes, sorry, I did forget to mention that. I tried it multiple times. Regardless of the choice it will eventually go back to Windows Error Recovery Screen.

Blog Entries

Apparently you have the correct Bit repair disk; it does require the proper repair disk 32 bit or 64 bit

Use the repair disk and select the command prompt, then:

After selecting repair>cmd prompt, enter:

BootRec.exe /fixmbr (Note: There is a space after exe and before the /)

you can also substitute the /fixmbr with this command:

/FixBoot

Writes a boot sector onto the system partition to start Windows

Computer needs to be rebooted after command....type exit and enter if necessary to reboot
    Last edited by abseh1; 07-10-2013 at 07:10 AM.

I turned on computer, had to press F2 to get to Setup Screen. Within Setup screen, selected Boot 'tab' and moved the CD/DVD to the 1st slot so computer will auto run/boot from disc. Yes to save changes.
    System then went to the Windows Error Recovery Screen where I selected Repair..
    At the prompt, pressed any key to boot from CD/DVD
    then it sat at Windows loading files....

When complete, selected Command Prompt
    Typed: BootRec.exe /fixmbr
    Received message of: The operation completed successfully.
    typed exit then hit enter

This led me back to the System Recovery Options screen. In order to restart, selected Restart button.

Did not change settings in the Set Up screen to boot from drive. Left it on booting from disc.
    Once restarted, selected any key to boot from CD/DVD
    Then went to the System Recovery Options Screen.
    Selected Keyboard: US then next..
    At this point it sat at "Searching for windows installations.."

Then brings me to the System Recovery Option scrren
    Computer auto checks: "Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows. Select an operation system to repair.
    System: Windows 7 465231 MB (CTI105741W0B
    hit next
    At this point it then goes back to System Recovery Options, where it provides these recovery tools:
    -Start Up Repair
    -System Restore
    -System Image Recovery
    -Windows Memory Diagnostic
    -Command Prompt
    -Recovery Management
    <shut down> <restart>

after the command prompt, should i have not booted from the disc a 2nd time?

thanks

Blog Entries

Should only have to repair the boot ...it should have stated boot repaired...then restart (remove the DVD)

Check all your media DVD/CDs ...remove any unnecessary USB/Flash drives and external media that is not needed

Blog Entries

Here is a forum for Toshiba
    (I am guessing... but I think you have a 64 Bit computer)
    TOSHIBA FORUMS - TOSHIBA FORUMS

If you did not get a CD, to go back to factory defaults, the way it was when you bought the computer, it is usually an fkey....the forum can help you ....the recovery may be on a partition

You will lose all of your documents etc, so...I hope you have a data back up.

It will be in your manual, if you hit a certain f key (usually f11, but not always), your computer will return to the way it was the day you bought it.

You will lose all of your documents etc, so, hopefully you did a back up.

You maybe able to do a go to factory settings...but a backup of data will be needed as your data will be lost

This will put the computer back to factory settings...run Windows updates and update all critical updates

Thank you for pointing me to the Toshiba forum. I have found out how to retrieve the data from my computer so we don't lose it. Once I have completed backing up the data, I will reset the computer back to factory defaults. Is there anything special I will need to do after its reset?

Blog Entries

Be sure to run all the critical windows updates

You will need to reinstall any programs that did not come from the factory

Example ...Printer drivers etc

Some run a tool called The PC Decrapifier Wipes Unwanted Junk | The PC Decrapifier ...that is your call

10. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your help. I have successfully reset the computer back to factory settings, have ran all the critical windows updates and now am re-installing programs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast