Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!

Default Help!!

Oh bloody bloody bloody ...

I was just in the process of posting a reply in the Copy and Paste thread to EF when instead of clicking on Start FF in Safe Mode I clicked on Start FF Fresh (or something like that) by mistake. Now all my bookmarks have disappeared and all my addons too! My homepage went back to google instead of Startpage and I lost my Ixquick toolbar and worst of all my customised toolbar. Everything looks completely different!

I tried a system restore to yesterday but it didn't restore anything so I tried a system restore to a few days ago - still didn't bring them all back. I've now reset StartPage as my homepage and reloaded the Ixquick toolbar but is there any way of restoring my addons (or even finding out what they were so I can reset them?) Most of them were security related, like Adblock Plus but I can't remember most of them.

I've reset the annoying feature when you get thumbnails of the most recent pages you visited when you open a new tab in about:config (which numpty decided that was a good idea?) but I'd like to reset my home icon which is now at the right hand side of the screen instead of the left where I like it. I think there was a setting you could change to bring back the old coloured icons and reset them at the left hand side?

Urgent help needed please - right now I don't recognise my computer at all - and Mr Steph is not happy because all his bookmarks have gone ...

Thanks
    Steph
    Last edited by Steph; 07-12-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Steph. Re: the bookmarks, does IE have the same book marks, if so you can transfer them to FF .. in IE > Files > Import/Export > Export to a file > highlight favorites > next window select 'favorites' (it should be selected by default) > next window select where you want it saved > Export. When that's done, Use the import option in FF or other browser.

As far as the other problems, again, see what add-ons you have in IE, hopefully they will remind you of the ones you chose for FF.

Others may have further input, so stay tuned.

Hi Canuck, I only use IE for updates so there are no bookmarks or addons to copy over unfortunately. I'm currently going through past threads to try and find posts where addons were suggested or mentioned - it's going to be a long night ...

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Still working on restoring all my previous settings (manually )

I'd be grateful for some help with a few settings though please :

1. Ages ago, arraknid suggested a nifty little free program that allowed you to download a web page as a pdf and delete the bits you didn't want or just print the page. It was called Print something or other - I can't find it on previous threads as there are so many, but did anyone else download this or recognise what it might be?

2. I changed a setting somewhere once to stop clicked links turning from blue to purple - again, I can't find the instructions on how to do this - any ideas?

3. I want to change the icons in FF back to coloured from the boring and difficult to distinguish black icons. I downloaded Classic Toolbar Buttons as an addon just now but it hasn't done much and I can't remember the previous addon that worked really well. Any recommendations please?

I will backup regularly ... I will backup regularly ... I will backup regularly ... I will backup regularly ...
    And I will pay attention when clicking on changes ... I will pay attention when clicking on changes ...

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Here are a few of the add-ons I use, British English Dictionary, ColorfulTabs (note the missing u ) DoNotTrack Plus, Download Status bar, Zoom Page. I don't have too many add-ons as it can slow start up of FF and perhaps?? slow down search/access to sites. go to Tools > Options > Content tab > under fonts and colors click on Colors button > click on color box to change the 'link for visited or unvisited' to be the same as the other if that's what you want.
    How about Color Toolbar Icons for FF? and try PrintPDF.

Hope this helps

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

Steph,

On 14/01/2011 you had the following installed. Some you might have uninstalled by now but your ColorfulTabs is there.

optout@google.com:1.2
    ColorfulTabs
    All-in-One Sidebar
    Flagfox
    Fission
    WOT
    Interclue
    Adblock Plus
    Statusbar
    Ixquick Toolbar
    Qute

Edited to add > PrintPDF

(edited post) Canuck had the answers.
    Last edited by DonnaB; 07-12-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Ooops! Hi Canuck!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thank you both very much - I'd remembered some but was having a hard time finding the rest. Donna - I'm flummoxed - how on earth did you find that thread? I searched loads of past threads but didn't come across that one - now if only you could do the same for my lost bookmarks! I last saved them months ago so that will teach me ...

I managed to sort out the colour of the clicked links query from arraknid's tutorial Help2Go Forums - Fix Firefox 'history sniffing' problem before I saw your instruction Canuck but I changed the colour there as well.

Qute (the nice coloured icons I liked) interfered with the little + at the end of the last tab for some reason, so you couldn't open a new tab so I had to remove it. I'll try Canuck's suggestion instead.

Thank you both again. I'm not kidding, dawn is breaking - told you it was going to be a long night!

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Blog Entries
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that abseh, I had no idea FF saved all that stuff - I've saved the link for future reference

I saw a folder on the desktop named Old Firefox Data (2) which must have been created automatically last night but when I tried to open the bookmarks folder in it, Windows said it couldn't open any of the files - which are the last ten backups referred to in the article you linked to - they're all .json files. I then saw your post and followed the instructions for restoring lost bookmarks but the only bookmark backup in that list was today's and it only contained the few I've added today - the last ten weren't stored there, which would have been great.

I think that .json are javascript files and I've disabled Java - if that's the same thing? If I could open the backup for the day before I messed everything up, I should be able to restore them all but I don't know how to do it. Do I have to enable Java or is that something different? It's annoying because it looks as if they're there but inaccessible!

Any ideas?

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Blog Entries
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast