Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windows operating system Transfer

Good evening, please could you advise me regarding the following, I would like to transfer my existing Windows 7 64bit operating system from a 40GB hard drive to a 500GB hard drive, is this possible? I do have a windows 7 installation disc but although its an original & genuine programme, I've used it so many times I don't think I'll be able to activate it if I do a clean install. If you could help me on this it would be good. Thanks.

Hi Bcoharzis,

Welcome to Help2Go!

I do apologize that you have had to wait so long for a reply.

Yes. Transferring your OS from an old hard drive to a new one is possible. Do you have your Recovery Discs for your computer?

What is the Make and Model # of your computer?

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi, no problem on the long wait for a reply although I was beginning to think I'd done something wrong. I was recommended to help2go because although I know a bit about computers, and learning all the time, I don't know enough to get me out of trouble. I have windows 8 now, I don't have any recovery discs that I know of (whatever they are), and the make & model of my computer, all I know is that I have a dual core processor with 4GB of memory. When you ask for the make of the computer do you mean the name of the tower? I've just checked the front of the tower and there's a sticker that says, AMD Athlon 2? Sorry I can't be of any more help. By the way, help2go seems to be free? While free is always good, is it really free? How does the website run? Sorry if I'm asking a personal question.

By the way, help2go seems to be free? While free is always good, is it really free?
    The help that we provide is 100% FREE! Yes, we do this out of the kindness in our hearts. It is not free to keep the site running and you do have the opportunity to Donate to Help2Go if you so wish. All donations are used to help maintain the cost of keeping the site up and running.

When you ask for the make of the computer do you mean the name of the tower?
    Yep! The manufacturer of the Tower (computer) and the Model #. It can be easily found by doing the following:

Click on the Start then right click on Computer in the right pane. Navigate to Properties and click. Look for System. Under there it will display the Manufacturer: of the computer and the Model: number of said computer.

Questions, questions, questions! LOL.....

I need a bit of history concerning the computer.

When you purchased the computer, what was the original OS that was installed?

In your 1st post you mentioned that you have Windows 7 64-bit and would like to transfer the OS to the new Hard Drive. Do you have the product key for the W7?

In post #2 you stated that you have a Windows 8 disc. Is the W8 disc a retail version and do you have a product key for this media?

I just want to make sure we're on the same page as to what OS you would like to install on the new Hard Drive.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Hi, thank you for the quick reply...I purchased the computer about 2 years ago, maybe 3 years ago now? The original operating system was Windows 7 64bit, the windows 7 64bit programme is now installed on a 40 GB hard drive - I want the windows 7 operating system transferred to a 500GB hard drive. I'm currently now running Windows 8 on the computer, but the spare 500GB hard drive that I have (the one that I want to transfer Windows 7 onto), I want to keep this hard drive as a back up in case something goes wrong with windows 8, it shouldn't do but I want to be prepared. I have product keys for windows 7, and windows 8, and the computer name is (I think???) AMD ll X4 64bit, is this what you need? sorry to be a dork?? If it isn't what you need please let me know?

That is your processor information. And you're not a dork!

Follow these instructions:

Click on the Start
    Right click on Computer in the right pane of the Start Menu.
    Navigate to and click Properties in the list.
    Look for System.
    Under System it will display the Manufacturer: of the computer and the Model: number of the computer.

I have highlighted in yellow what I need to know:

I'm glad you don't think I'm a dork, thank you. What I found was....Asrock N68C - S UCC, this means nothing to me...its the number I found on the 'motherboard', mind you....silly question - why do they call it a motherboard, why not a fatherboard? I know I'm being awkward sorry....

why do they call it a motherboard, why not a fatherboard?
    LOL! That's funny! Probably because Mothers rule the roost and makes all the decisions!

That is the reference number to the MotherBoard.

Where you able to click on the Start button in the lower left of your screen and follow the instruction I provided above to find the Make and Model number of the computer?

My mother definitely ruled the roost, but she taught me great discipline, as did my father....girl power huh!! OK, sorry.....I have windows 8 at the moment & there isn't a start button...sorry...really sorry...please be patient with me.... how do I check the name of the computer in windows 8? Sorry...are you sure I'm not a dork (laughing).

Ah.... ok. Now I understand. Windows 8 is installed. Sorry about that. I had to reread the thread. I was thinking Windows 7 64-bit was installed.

The 40GB hard drive that has Windows 7 64-bit installed on it, is that hard drive installed on any computer at this time.

The 500GB hard drive. Is anything installed on that hard drive at all? It is a hard drive that can be installed into a computer. Right? Not an external hard drive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast