Thread: Avast! problem

Default Avast! problem

I have a problem with avast (v.8.0.1500) and so currently no a-v protection so would really appreciate some guidance.

When I logged on this morning avast said there was a new (free) update, which I installed. It then required a reboot but on doing so neither avast nor ZA firewall would load. The machine kept chuntering away to itself although task manager showed no activity although it did show AvastUI.exe was loaded. I tried rebooting a couple of times but the same thing occurred. I then tried a system restore to yesterday but that failed and the same issue was still there. I then noticed that avast had created a restore point this morning, presumably before it updated so I tried restoring to that point. This has partially worked in that ZA firewall is now up and running and the avast icon is showing - however, avast is switched off (icon with a red cross).

I opened the avast interface and it says the system is unsecured and that avast is off. All the shields are shown as down. Clicking on "start" link in avast to switch it on does nothing. Right clicking on the avast icon and then on avast shields control>Enable all shields (8 disabled) does nothing either. It also tells me my registration has 0 days left but actually shows status as Registered and registration ending in April 2014. If I click on "Register" anyway it tells me "The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error" whatever that is supposed to mean. Windows Security Center says avast is on (it isn't). Tried uninstalling avast via Add/Remove but that doesn't work either (get an error message that says "aswRunDll.exe encountered a problem and needs to close" Opening the avast interface and clicking on "update engines and virus definitions" just comes up with an error saying "Failed to update. The avast service is not running" with no option to re-enable or switch it on given.

Help needed please - what do I try next?

Steph
    Last edited by Steph; 10-16-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph,

Usually Avast will update the database automatically and if there is a program update you will be notified. I wonder if the update notice was for the program itself, trying to entice you to upgrade to the full version. Do you recall if you chose to try the full version when you installed Avast and that trial version has expired?

What I would do is to use the aswclear (Avast uninstall utility) and reinstall the free version from here and make sure to look closely as you reinstall to make sure the option for the trial version is unchecked. Even choosing the free version to install will include an enticement to try the full version.

Let me know it that fixes the problem.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Ha! You did it again!

Thanks Donna, that did the trick, all working fine again now.

I had avast set to update automatically but then I got an "important" program update (2014). I was careful to only go with the free update as I never bother with trial versions and I'm positive I didn't click on anything other than that although as you said, there were constant inducements to try the full program and I may have done so inadvertently.

I did a custom install and unticked remote assistance but left SecureLine ticked (actually not sure what that is?) Was that OK?

The new interface looks quite different to the previous version - it actually looks more basic to be honest but at least I have working a-v protection again now.

Thanks again for your help

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Great! You're welocme!

Yes. Custom install is the way to go since that will take you through the steps of installation in a slower pace so as not to overlook something.

Now, for the SecureLine thing, I keep getting a nag screen concerning that as well. I haven't really taken the time to read up on that but it has to do with a VPN (virtual private network) that keeps you safer if you choose to use public wifi.

Couple of links that might help:

Avast! SecureLine

VPN (virtual private network)

The VPN thing that you left ticked may be a trial since the link displays a cost involved.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi Donna, thanks for those links. I think you're right about the SecureLine being a paid option as although I didn't untick it on installation it's actually showing as disconnected and needs a license file to activate - I haven't had any nag screens as yet though.

Otherwise all working well

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11