Default ok to delete xml files?

In my DATA (D) drive there are several files in a folder BACKUP, followed by a date in 2011. All except one begin with the same name: 643fd0ld-72d7-4757-8... and the Type is XML Document The last file has a name with different numbers and letters, and the Type is VHD File.
    I don't know what these are, can't open them, and when I defrag, the result is that these files are seriously fragmented but can't be defragmented and are slowing down my laptop computer. Is it okay to delete these files? If I first should know what they are, how can I open them?
    I have an ACER TravelMate 5720 laptop, Vista Business 32-bit OS, RAM 2.0 GB. Drive C has 24.2 GB free of 69.6 GB, and Drive D has 13.5 GB free of 69.6 GB
    Last edited by Senior65; 11-30-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Smiley icon appeared, didn't want it

Hi Senior65,

A file with the XML file extension is an Extensible Markup Language file. I'm not exactly sure what program creates it.

Since XML files are text-based files, any text editor, including Notepad, will be able to properly display it.

What is a VHD file?

VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as disk partitions and a file system, which in turn can contain files and folders. It is typically used as the hard disk of a virtual machine.

VHD is an acronym for Virtual Hard Disk. Files that have the .vhd file extension contain disk images that are used by the Microsoft Virtual Server. The VHD file stores data within an individual file and acts in the same was as a physical hard disk.

VHD files are commonly used to install multiple operating systems on a single hard drive and to test various software applications.

The .vhd file extension is also used with the Windows Vista operating system for backups of a user's PC. These VHD files can be used to restore individual directories on a user's computer or the entire computer hard drive if needed.
    Personally I'd leave the files alone and not worry about them.

files are seriously fragmented but can't be defragmented and are slowing down my laptop
    I don't believe that these files are slowing down the Laptop, as there not on the "C" Drive where the operating system is located. I would think something else is slowing down the Laptop, maybe to many start up programs and things like that. If you would like to investigate the slow down issue we can do that for you. It will require a few log files for you to post so we can get an overall view of your computer.

Thanks.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

A trick I've been using for decades when I wonder if a file or folder is safe to delete is to simply rename it and see what happens.

The renaming convention I use so I don't forget the original name is easy; I simply append "-delete-" and the date to end of the name. In this way, I don't have to worry about remembering the original name, and I can easily see how long it has been since it was renamed.

For example:

Old filename: filename.xyz
    New filename: filename.xyz-delete-12-1-13
    Old folder name: Folder
    New folder name: Folder-delete-12-1-13

I use a dash ("-") instead of a slash ("/") to avoid problems with folders and subfolders in the directory tree.

Then I leave it for a week or two (sometimes months if the file/folder is buried deep in the drive some where and I forget about it) and see what happens. Then next time I stumble upon it, I can see by the date how long it has been. If I have had no problems during that time, I know it is safe to finally delete it.

But if I rename it and something breaks or I get a "file not found" error, I don't have to guess what the old name was. I simply remove my appendage... ...err I mean I rename the file or folder again removing the added text restoring the original file or folder name and be good to go.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post: