Thread: Geek Squad

Default Geek Squad

Due to numerous problems in getting windows 8.1 running the way I want it, or at least in a way I can use it, I asked a friend and he recommended Geek Squad. My question here is can anyone give me good recommendations or warnings about them. I called today and whoever answered assured me that they understood 8.1 and virtual machine, didn't sound too positive about dosbox. I have installed VM and dosbox, but can't seem to figure out how to get the programs that I want to be found.

Second and totally unrelated queston.

I have used Taxactonline for years now. Now when I try to go there I see the address adfarm.mediaplex.com show up and then I can't connect there or at Taxact either. Does that mean that adfarm has hijacked something on my computer? How can I get around this?

Thanks again.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Arbfarkle, I personally have not had experiences with the Geek Squad, but know others who have been 'sucked in' with their double talk, excessive charges and bad workmanship. You may want to read the following 9 Confessions Of A Former Geek Squad Geek . I would suggest you go to a reliable PC repair store (some colleges and universities have computer stores and techs who know their stuff and prices are usually reasonable).

As far as adfarm.mediaplex.com is concerned, it looks like you've been hit by redirect malware. I would suggest you get in touch with our spyware experts and let them help you out on this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

The problem with the Geek Squad (1) they got a bad reputation (and sued big time) for illegal use of diagnostics software (Winternals products) for commercial purposes and (2) not all Geek Squad members are equal. So it is a roll of the dice if you happen to get someone who knows what they are doing. But (3) Geek Squad members are not paid well so the good ones don't still around long.

If upgrading RAM or installing a HD, the Geek Squad is probably fine. But for more complex issues, I would follow Canuck's advice and visit a local independent computer shop.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Thanks to both of you for responding. I have stopped at a place that had a sign saying "Computers" and was told that he had nothing with 8 on it. Tried a place over the phone that came highly recommended. They said that they had nothing with 8 on it. Geek Squad says that they know about vm and dosbox, but then again, the person on the phone wanted a customer. Again thanks for the advice.

That's odd they said they have nothing with 8 on it. I wonder why. I note here at my little shop, I don't have any "broken" W8 systems here.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Still haven't found a (known and recommended) shop here in Houston Texas. If anyone in this forum knows of a shop here, please let me know. Not sure if I would need VM or Dosbox with Windows 7. So I am kind of leaning toward going the rip out and install option. I guess my main objections to W8 are:
    1 Not being able to navigate using Windows Explorer. This is a problem in just getting the files from this old reliable machine to the new beast.
    2 Not being able to do a search like XP does.
    3 Not being able to run Backgammon and Reversi online.
    4 Even this forum is hard to run with the new machine.
    5 With 8.1 I am automatically online whether I want online or not.

Have tried the HP forum and basically got told how to run the Windows 7 disk that I had tried (with help from MS) it didn't work for me or them then so didn't feel like trying again.

I might try to buy a completely new Windows 7 bootable disk, but I don't know if I can figure out which drivers I would need to save.
    Would I get the option to format the disk? If so would that remove all the W8 partitions?
    I don't know if a Wal-Mart or Best Buy Windows 7 install disk would be better than the one that MS sold me. That disk apparently just found W8 and gave up on trying to install W7. I checked with the local office of HP and they suggested that I go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy for help. I didn't know that Wal-Mart was competing with Geek Squad.

Any suggestions are invited.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I note you have a number of Staples stores in Huston. They are a well know retailer and most usually have a tech you can talk to and have repairs done too.

I went to Staples to look at a printer to see what I had done wrong (broke mine) and met a guy that said he taught windows 8. He was one of the people (Donna on this forum was the other) that warned me about W8. I think that I had already ordered it at the time. I guess that I wasn't impressed with him since he was trying to make the same mistake that I had made with my printer. Didn't get his name. Guess I could just call Staples and describe him.