Default Problem with Oldtimers Temp File Cleaner

Hi Folks,

Acer Aspire M1600 running Win Vista Home Premium SP2; 250Gb Hard drive, 1Gb DDR2 Ram, Browser latest Firefox.

Following on from my earler debacle which led to me having to reinstal Vista Home Premium I have been religiously following a scan schedule whereby once a week I run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and once a month I run Oldtimers TFC. Did the usual scans this morning with no problems reported, so then ran TFC...

It ran as normal, and removed 905Mbs of temp files and didnt ask for a reboot when completed; however we had a power trip and a reboot became necessary anyway. On rebooting, the desktop showed 21 temp file folders in addition to the normal desktop items.

Performance of the computer seems to be unaffected; I can open all of the normal desktop files without a problem, and the internet still works 'as advertised.'

Is there a way I can get rid of these unwanted desktop temp files; 19 of them Ive deleted by dragging them to the reycle bin and then emptying it but the remaining 2 in particular concern me because I'm not sure what they do... both are captioned desktop.ini. I dont want to delete these if they are an essential part of the start-up procedure...

By the way in reference to Zeps comment on my earlier thread about only having 1Gb ram, I obtained the 4Gb upgrade kit from the recommended source, but when I fitted the new boards, the computer refused to boot beyond the Acer Flash Sceen at switch on. When I reloaded the original boards, the computer booted and loaded correctly and has continued to do so... Any Comments?

Thanks.
    John

You can safely delete any desktop.ini files you see - they will be recreated next time you boot - if needed. Note by default, you would not see this file so you must have changed file options to enable view of hidden system files. Are these file icons slightly faded or obscured?

If me, I would delete those two and reboot and see if they reappear.

When you have a sudden shutdown due to a power outage, after you boot the computer, you should reboot the computer again using the normal reboot proceedure to ensure any stranded files are properly closed, then reopened. Oh, and I recommend ALL COMPUTERS be protected by a "good" UPS with AVR - so unexpected power outages and other power anomalies do not wreck havoc on our hardware, or worse, corrupt our data.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Digerati
    Hi and thanks for the advice. The folder Options subheading Show hidden files was indeed selected as a default. I might well have changed it when I was carrying out some Vista reinstallation problems a while back I had reinstalled vista and was in the throws of installing SP1 and SP2 when everything locked up and froze. Its qute possible that in our search for a solution Donna may have asked me to select that particular option. Anyway problem solvedand default reset to 'dont show'
    Regarding the UPS I have been a strong supporter of the UPS protected environment for many years. We have two desktop comps on with XP the other being my Vista machine.Until very recently each comp had its own UPS. For reasons best known to itself, the one on my comp failed. I am still raising cash for a suitable replacent unfortunately but other things keep getting in the way... I darent swap out the one from the XP machine since that comp has always been very sensitive to power dropouts and in the event of it being unprotected it takes an incredibly long time to reboot. It runs a complete Fat32 file checkafter a power glitch hence the semi permanent protection. The UPS in question doesnt have the capacity to drive two comps and monitors. As soon as I can afford it I will be back to two UPS's.

Thanks again...

Its qute possible that in our search for a solution Donna may have asked me to select that particular option.
    Yes, it is a common troubleshooting requirement. I always make all mine (and all extensions too) viewable for my personal systems.

As for UPS, are you sure the UPS failed, or did the batteries just wear out? UPS typically use SLA (sealed lead-acid) batteries (like small car batteries) and SLA batteries typically need to be replaced about every 3 year - 4 years. Replacing them is an easy user-task, and a lot cheaper than a new UPS, especially if you DON'T buy replacements from the UPS maker as they tend to be way overpriced.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

I hadnt considered that option! Will definitely check it out. Thanks.

I buy my UPS batteries from Apex, BatteryWholesale, or Batteryplex (and occasionally, Amazon), depending on who has the best price at THAT point in time (factoring in shipping, which can be significant, but sometimes free). Prices (and shipping charges) change frequently - hence the "THAT" point in time comment.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────