Default Problem with refresh.

Hi, can someone help please ?

I have a 'update' problem with windows 8.1. When I try to download the updates it goes on to about 35% before getting the message "Failure configuring windows updates, undoing changes, do not turn off your pc" This goes on for about 15 minutes before coming back to my desktop with no updates installed. I have tried this about 50 times.

This pc came with windows 8 preinstalled

I consulted with Microsoft and was told I need to do a refresh. Now the problem...I can't remember when I updated to 8.1, and if my memory stick is 8 or 8.1. So, if/when I am asked to insert my memory stick and it should be 8 instead of 8.1 or vice versa....will I do any damage ??? As I am less than 20% pc literate, I really need advice.

Thank you,
    Tom.

and was told I need to do a refresh
    This is the same old, and typically wrong advise you see offered by "wannabe" experts. "Oh, you just need to reformat and reinstall!" Refreshing Windows is not quite that drastic, but almost. The point being, however, that these are ALWAYS last resort options.

Did they tell you to try to fix Windows Update first?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Hi Digerati,
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, the lady that took remote control of my pc ran that program and I just ran it again earlier.

I got this report from "Fixit"....."Check for missing or corrupt files..detected" and "Problems installing recent updates....not fixed"

Unfortunately, it doesn't say what or where these files are. Is there much point in running the rest of that "Fix windows update " ?

Thank you for your help.
    Tom.

So she took remote control, did she get those same errors?

Have your tried running sfc /scannow (note the space before the /)?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Hi Digerati.
    No, I don't remember her getting any errors. Like you suggested she was probably taking the soft option.

I have run the sfc /scannow, this time with the space, and this is the results.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.

I tried to open that log and only this:

CBS Text Document 9,630 The access was denied on this one.
    CbsPersist _20140404104715 Cab file 1,133KB
    CbsPersist _20140404180642 Cab file 879KB
    CbsPersist _20140404210157 Test Document 16,481KB The access was denied on this one also.
    FilterList Text Document 1KB.

I got the same result when I ran the 'repair tool' from tweaking.com. When I tried to open the two that denied access the only choice I got with the 'open with' was note pad.

Thank you.
    Tom.

If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 times restarting the PC after each time to completely fix everything that it's able to.

Hi Zep.

I tried as you suggested without any success. I reckon I ran sfc /scannow about 15 times getting the same report every time.

Today I tried something new. I have 17 updates and 3 optional updates.

So, I unchecked the 17 updates and selected one of the optional ones and restarted my pc.

It was still trying to download the 17 updates but at the same time DID download the optional one.

I should have warned from the start "Murphys Law" was written especially with me in mind.

Thank you.
    Tom.

I would strongly suggest you post the windows up date issue to the experts Here. Unless Digerati can provide assistance here. I'm a bit unqualified to provide a step by step instruction in order to address this particular issue any further.

Thanks
    Joe

Well that's it ! I give up !

I feel this is Microsoft's problem...let them sort it.

I am not even going to attempt to install updates until they do something about.

As limited as I am in my knowledge of pc's I have tried everything I was capable of for the last 3 weeks and most of my time.

Once again, a big thank you to everyone on help2go, as I have said so many times...the best site on the www.

Cheers and thank you.
    Tom.

No, I am certainly not a Windows expert so I have nothing to offer without being able to physically wrap my hands around this system.

That said, I might suggest you post your "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." issue over at Sysnative. Follow the instruction to post your cbs logs and on of the expert log analyst may be able to sort this out - with interference... err, I mean help from MS tech support.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────