Default Installing windows 7

Please can you help? I've currently got windows 8 on my HP computer. I'm attempting to install windows 7 instead (long story). Every time I attempt to install, I keep getting the error message 'cannot install windows 7' or something like that.....How do I access the bios in windows 8 so I can run DBAN, clear the HDD, and reinstall (fresh install) windows 7 please?

I'm attempting to install windows 7
    The bad news is that it's a complicated endeavor.

In addition to the expected BIOS wrangling, drive formatting, and reinstalling device drivers, Microsoft has actually added extra layers of complexity. The BIOS has the added obstacle of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). Drives are partitioned and protected so that it's difficult to reclaim all of the space on your hard drive. And finally, manufacturers are spotty at best when it comes to offering Windows 7 drivers and rarely support users in making the switch. The result is a snarled Gordian Knot of complications, but there's not necessarily a sword available to simplify the issue. This guide, however, should help you navigate the many twists and turns.
    How to Uninstall Windows 8, Install Windows 7 on Your PC | PCMag.com

Joe

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Microsoft has actually added extra layers of complexity.
    This really irritates me and is typical of the biased, irresponsible and IMO, unprofessional reporting commonly seen from Ziff Davis publications when it comes to Microsoft products, and Windows in particular.

UEFI was created by Intel to enhance hardware security and performance. That is, UEFI is a hardware industry development, not software and not Microsoft's. It was developed with input (and embraced) by ALL the major operating system developers - to include the Linux community (the Linux Foundation, SUSE, and Red Hat), Apple, Oracle, and Microsoft, as well as the major BIOS developers (American Megatrends and Phoenix), and many more as seen here.

The process to get rid of an installed W8 OS was made "complicated" intentionally as a security issue - to block badguys from taking over a computer by booting to a different OS during the "pre-operating system environment" (the period of time after you push the power button, and the OS on the boot disk is loaded. That is BEFORE Microsoft Windows is even touched.

BTW, if the complaint with Windows 8/8.1 is primarily the Windows 8 "metro" style Start Page and user interface (UI), then I recommend you check out Start8. Start8 brings back the familiar W7 Start Orb and Start Menu and lets you boot directly to the Windows Desktop instead of the Windows 8 "Start Screen" that so many people dislike. Then W8 works and looks and feels almost exactly like the familiar W7. It cost $5 (after a 30-day trial period), but it is well worth it IMO.

See also Classic Shell. This product also brings back the Start Orb and menu, is free and very popular too. However, it has extra features and goodies that some (including myself) feel is unneeded "fluff". And perhaps because it is a free product it does not "appear" to have the "polished feel" of Start8. That said, it works very well so a few rough edges can easily be overlooked.

StartIsBack and Pokki are two more popular start screen alternatives. StartIsBack is not free, but pretty close at $3. However, like Classic Shell, it has extra features and user options many users don't need.

The point is, Windows 8 is more secure (reason enough to use it instead of W7) and provides better performance. Remember, W7 is already nearly 5 years old! The latest hardware is designed to take advantage of the latest operating systems. Why bottleneck modern hardware with a legacy OS when the major complaints with the newer OS can easily be circumvented without compromising security or performance?

And BTW, the UEFI feature that makes it difficult (Secure Boot) is only required by default with factory assembled computers and factory installed Windows.
    Last edited by Digerati; 06-21-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: fixed typo - added comment about "pre-OS enviornment"
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Been there, done that. At least tried to do that. Bought a disk from MS. (They later denied that it was theirs). I had explained the purpose that I wanted it for. It wouldn't not load W7 over W8.1. Finally found a technical type who did it for (if I remember right) $200 After adding a search feature for $10 I am pretty happy. I think you should listen to these guys, but if you are still unhappy, then you might try that.
    Last edited by Arbfarkle; 06-21-2014 at 01:09 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arbfarkle For This Useful Post:

Thank you Tracy.....you're a star.