Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need to update drivers after fresh install

I did a fresh install of windows 7 because my computer was running too slow. Now i can't connect to the internet. The problem seems to be that the following drivers need updating. But i can't update them without being on the internet. Can i get the updated versions on another computer and install them via a USB pen and if so where can i get them from?

802.11n WLAN Adapter
    Ethernet Controller
    Network Controller
    PCI Simple Communications Controller
    SM Bus Controller

Thanks
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

We need the make and model of the computer, that's where you need to go to get the required drives to the manufactures site. If it's a Dell you go to the Dell site, Acer go to Acer site, Gateway go to gateway site, HP go the HP site.

Yes you can download the driver to a usb from a good computer and install that way.

Thanks
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

My laptop is Samsung, model NP300E7A. Unfortunately i couldn't find what i want on their site so i sent them an e-mail asking them to send me direct links to the drivers.

Thanks Zep

And your drivers should be located Here

Joe

Pay attention to the windows version and 64 bit / 32 Bit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

For future reference, W7 is not XP and "running too slow" is not a reason to reinstall any more - in part because of exactly the problems you are encountering (a particular problem with notebooks because they tend to be so proprietary). But also, re-installing sets you months, if not YEARS behind in security updates, you lose all your data and downloaded programs (unless you wisely backed them up first), plus, nothing is learned in the process to prevent the original problem from recurring. And to add insult to injury, reinstalling often does NOT fix the problem.

It would have been much better for you, if you had reached out for help to fix the slow performance problem - and I point this out not to poke at you, but so hopefully future readers can catch the warning before running down the same dark path.

It is critical for normal users, and help providers alike, to understand and accept that W7 and W8.x are NOT XP. What was once common practice with XP is most likely not needed, and potentially detrimental to performance and/or security with W7/W8.x.

I am concerned now because Windows 7 should have been smart enough to at least provide basic Ethernet connection via its generic Ethernet NIC drivers. Let's hope the drivers Joe has linked to helps.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

I downloaded the drivers from that link and installed them via my USB pen. I saved all my important stuff on an external drive before. I am on the internet now and i haven't lost any data, although everything has been put in a folder called windows.old. So i will have to spend the rest of the day putting everything back to normal. It is working a bit faster but still not as fast as i hoped. This laptop is two years old so i suppose it will soon be time to replace it. I have been putting off buying windows 8 as long as possible because i used it once and hated it. Thanks for helping.

It is working a bit faster but still not as fast as i hoped.
    Did it used to be quicker?

This laptop is two years old so i suppose it will soon be time to replace it. I have been putting off buying windows 8 as long as possible because i used it once and hated it. Thanks for helping.
    2 years is not old - yet. But note using W8 "once" is not near enough time to give it a chance. The UI is certainly different, but like most different things, once you get past the learning curve, things become intuitive.

Still, if the complaint with Windows 8/8.1 is primarily the Windows 8 "metro" style Start Page and user interface (UI), then I recommend you check out Start8. Start8 brings back the familiar W7 Start Orb and Start Menu and lets you boot directly to the Windows Desktop instead of the Windows 8 "Start Screen" that so many people dislike (though you can do that now with W8.1). With Start 8, W8.x works and looks and feels almost exactly like the familiar W7. It cost $5 (after a 30-day trial period), but it is well worth it IMO. And, even at just $5, it has the "polished feel" I expect from a paid product that may not be seen in some free alternatives.

There is also Classic Shell. This product also brings back the Start Orb and menu, is free and very popular too. However, it has extra features and goodies that some (including myself) feel is unneeded "fluff". That said, it works very well so a few rough edges can easily be overlooked.

StartIsBack and Pokki are two more popular start screen alternatives. StartIsBack is not free, but pretty close at $3. However, like Classic Shell, it has extra features and user options many users don't need.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Looks like I was a bit too hasty in my reply. Everything is still here but most of the programs need to be reinstalled. It was very fast when i bought it but it started slowing after about a year and in the last few weeks it was so slow i stopped using it. I didn't like windows 8 because i couldn't find anything and i wanted the start button. A lot of people seem to share this opinion. But i think the time has come to buy a new one and my local PC World only stock Windows 8.1 now. So i will buy it and use one of your links to get my start button back. Thanks.

Why don't you wait a little longer before buying and investigate the proposed Windows 9 which is
    due out shortly, hopefully it will have solved a lot of the issues that Windows 8/8.1 has.
    Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU, E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 2.52GHz, 2.00GB of Ram.Used Space 10.3GB, Free Space 222GB, Capacity 232GB.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cremora For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cremora View Post
    Why don't you wait a little longer before buying and investigate the proposed Windows 9 which is
    due out shortly, hopefully it will have solved a lot of the issues that Windows 8/8.1 has.
    I didn't know that. There was nothing wrong with windows 7. My feeling is Microsoft bring out these new systems just to make people keep spending.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast