Default Reloaded Windows XP, no internet connection

Pentium 4, 1.3 GHz, 1 GB RAM (I know it's old but it works): I had to reload Windows XP Home Edition SP2. It works but I have no internet connection. I went to "Control Panel"/"Internet Options"/"Connections"/"LAN Settings" and the "Automatically detect settings" is checked. I went to "Network Connections"/"Local Area Connection"/"Properties", highlighted "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", clicked "Properties" and "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are checked. Went to "Control Panel"/"System"/"Hardware"/"Device Manager"/"Network Adapters" and the "Netgear FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter" is working properly. The lights are solid and flashing green on the hardware. Windows Firewall is off. Pinging 192.168.0.1 is spotty. Sometimes I get 3 replies, sometimes 2, sometimes it times out.

Any ideas?

Hello,

Boot the computer to Safe Mode with networking and see if it connects there. Only try connecting to Google.

Still didn't work.

"Netgear FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter"

Can you try reinstalling that from device manager. Open device manager right click on ("Netgear FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter") choose "Uninstall" and reboot the computer. Even though it says it's working, try it anyway.

Still doesn't work. Checked specs on FA311. Win XP is not listed as an operating system. I switched to Belkin F5D-7000. It worked but not very well. I could get to Google but not much further. It loaded Realtek driver so maybe that is the problem. I'm going try another desktop.