Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trying to recover lost pictures

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with this although it's not exactly a computer problem. I took 300 pictures with my Sony Cybershot(12.1 mega pixels) and, not knowing how to transfer them to my computer, gave my camera to a friend to do so. The result was that before the pictures could be
    transferred they were deleted. It says "no images" on the screen. I read where it's possible to to recover deleted pictures because it's still in the memory card. I don't know how to do that and there's no many links saying a different way to do it, I don't want to try one way and find out
    that it was the wrong way and I've lost the pictures for good. There is some way to transfer the pictures that are deleted from the file in the memory card. I don't even know where the memory card is(is it combined with the battery?). Some direction would be appreciated. If this is not enough of a computer-related question, then my apologies, I'm trying to save pictures I'll never be able to get again so I thought I would turn, once again, to the knowledgeable people on this site who helped me before.

Hi rjay81,

I am sorry for the delay in responding.......

What is the model number of your Sony CyberShot?

There should be a battery compartment on the bottom of the camera. Open it up to see if there is a slot to insert a memory card. I would think that it has a slot for the memory card and not just internal memory. What ever you do, at this moment, DO NOT take any pictures with your camera till I find out for sure.

It did come with a cable to attach to your computer, right?

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    ..What is the model number of your Sony CyberShot?
    There should be a battery compartment on the bottom of the camera. Open it up to see if there is a slot to insert a memory card. I would think that it has a slot for the memory card and not just internal memory. What ever you do, at this moment, DO NOT take any pictures with your camera till I find out for sure.
    It did come with a cable to attach to your computer, right? Donna

Thank you for your reply. I had to locate the box,etc, and yes, there is a cable that came with the camera which is
    Model # DSC - W230. Upon closer inspection of where the battery is inserted, there is a small rectangular piece that inserts above it. That must be the memory card.

Upon closer inspection of where the battery is inserted, there is a small rectangular piece that inserts above it. That must be the memory card.
    Yes! That is your memory card. If you press down, oh so slightly, on the card you should be able to remove it from the camera.

Is your computer a desktop or a laptop? Either way, look on your computer somewhere to see if you have a memory card reader port\slot that the card can be inserted into.

Let me know what you find...
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

...Is your computer a desktop or a laptop? Either way, look on your computer somewhere to see if you have a memory card reader port\slot that the card can be inserted into. Let me know what you find...
    I have a desktop. The hard drive is an AMD Sempron. When I checked it, there are slots that say " Smart media/ xD"......" Compact flash l/ll"..... " MMC/SD"........." Memory Stick/ PRO"......"USB 2.0".

Ok. I don't have a desktop, but I believe that smart media or MMC/SD slot(s) is for SD cards (memory cards).

Let's try the following and see if we have any success finding those pictures:

Insert the SD card (memory card) into the computer. Then click on Start > Computer and check to see what drive letter was assigned to your SD card (memory card) found under Devices with removable storage.

Next:

Go back and follow the instructions below:

Download Recuva free to your desktop by clicking on the green download button.

Once you click on that button, you will need to click on the Download from FileHippo.com link found under the box that advertises the free version, then on the next window, click on the green Download Latest Version (4.02 MB) buton at the top right of the page.

• Right click on the setup file found on your desktop and choose Run as Administrator.
    • Select your language and click Next > , then click Install.
    • Uncheck View release notes.
    • On the next screen, make sure All Files are selected and click Next >
    • On the next screen, click on the dial button to the left of In a specific location and click on the Browse button.
    • In the next little screen that pops up, scroll down to select the drive letter that was assigned to your SD card (memory card) and click to highlight, then click OK.
    • On the next screen, go ahead and click on the Enable Deep Scan.
    • Click Start button.

Recuva will now search for files. When and if it finds any they will display on the user interface of the program and tell you if they are recoverable under the Comments column. If any are found and are recoverable, place a checkmark in the little box to the left and click on the Recover button at the bottom right of the screen. You can choose where to recover them too. Choose your desktop and click OK.

Let me know if you have any success, or not. My fingers are crossed!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Both of the slots you mentioned are larger than the memory card by almost 1/4 of an inch. I'm afraid that if I insert it, I won't get it out. I inserted it part way in until I felt it "catch' then went to "computer" and through the "devices with removable storage" but every one of them said 'insert disk". I inserted it into the "MMC/SD slot until I felt it catch"there was only about 1/4" left to pull it back out so I didn't insert it further". As I was going through "devices with removable storage" they said the same thing "insert disk" but while I was going through them the hard drive started to sound like a weed wacker outside. It stayed on that high sound until I pulled out the memory card, then it wound itself down and stopped. I don't know if I should insert it into the Smart Media slot because it doesn't look like it fits it, the Smart Media slot is almost 1/3" larger. I don't know what to do at this point.

Wow! 1/4 of an inch? That is a lot of space. Mine fits in with just a little space on each side and when I push it in I feel a spring action. It only protrudes enough to be able to push it into the slot and the spring action pushes it back out just like it should do in your camera.

What make and model number is your computer?

You could also try inserting the memory card back into the camera and using the cable that came with the camera to insert into a USB port and recover the files that way. If you choose to try that, once you insert the cable that is connected to the camera, follow the instructions on how to find the drive letter that is assigned to your camera as I posted above.

Keep me informed to your progress..

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Wow! 1/4 of an inch? That is a lot of space. Mine fits in with just a little space on each side and when I push it in I feel a spring action. It only protrudes enough to be able to push it into the slot and the spring action pushes it back out just like it should do in your camera. hat make and model number is your computer? You could also try inserting the memory card back into the camera and using the cable that came with the camera to insert into a USB port and recover the files that way. If you choose to try that, once you insert the cable that is connected to the camera, follow the instructions on how to find the drive letter that is assigned to your camera as I posted above. Keep me informed to your progress..
    Thank you. My camera is a Sony Cybershot. Model # DSC - W230. I followed your directions and connected my camera to the computer. I had about ten pictures left on my camera when this happened and I took those pictures. That's all that is left. All the other pictures are gone. I read somewhere later where it said not to take any more pictures because it starts to over-write the pictures if there's no space. There were ten pictures of space left. I took those ten pictures so it should not have over-written anything.
    Last edited by rjay81; 10-13-2014 at 10:38 AM.

I read somewhere later where it said not to take any more pictures because it starts to over-write the pictures if there's no space.
    That is correct. When you delete data, it will be overwritten, but from my experiences, if the data is not deleted you will get a warning when the memory is full and no data can be added till you remove/delete that data that is consuming the memory.

You can purchase a larger SD Card (memory card). Mine has 16GB's of storage. I also have one that only has 2GB's of storage. Your SD Card should say how many GB's there are for storage. Not all pictures are the same size. If you have you those image on your computer, place your mouse on them and this will display the size. You'll see the difference in size for each image.

All in all, it sounds like the SD Card has been reformatted, wiped clean. If I am not mistaken, and your camera has an internal memory as well as the ability to use external storage device such as the SD Card, both will be reformatted if you choose to do so. You might have the option to choose which to reformat. Have a look at the manual to familiarize yourself with how that works to prevent from losing the pictures that you want to keep in the future.

Donna

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast