Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't email photos s as an attachment

Hi, I admit that I'm a newbie to digital cameras and equally a newbie to sending pictures, but up until now I've been able to email pictures
    either from a folder or straight from my digital camera( Sony Cybershot DSC - W230) with ease. However, there are now several problem.

1.) I had, inadvertently, wiped out photos stored on the card. They were still there when I connected my camera to my computer so I downloaded them to Desktop . Problem is that I can't discern what is what. There are 200 with numbers like (000001), (000002), etc. On Desktop all the icons show a boat and sky painting(generic) and I had to click on each one to find out what it is. I took 50 new ones and, in trying to send them as an attachment ended up downloading it to Desktop. The numbers of these new photos were exactly the same as the ones previously taken, ie, (000001), (000002), etc. I don't know what is on them either without clicking on each and every generic picture and number.

2.) I tried to send the previously taken photos(several months ago) as an attachment but had to guess as to what photo was what to do it because they're all listed by numbers. For any other photos , I can not send them directly from my camera ( it says " You don't have a profile. Go to Mail Box and set it up". That message was coming from Office Outlook. I am on Yahoo and don't have Outlook. I couldn't set the profile up after numerous attempts. So I decided to download the photos to a file. Didn't work. It downloaded but I couldn't get the photos to load as an attachment.

I would just like to get back to what I had before Outlook came on the scene. I don't know why it's there but it doesn't look like I can send photos as a attachment until it's gone.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
    Last edited by rjay81; 11-14-2014 at 10:33 PM.

You say you don't have Outlook but then say Outlook is on the scene. ??? I don't understand. And note there are several Outlooks so we need to be specific. Outlook is an email program that you install on your computer. It is often with Microsoft Office. Outlook Express is also an email program, but very different from Outlook, obsolete and now no longer supported by Microsoft. Then there is Outlook.com - a web based email program.

The filenames as numbers is common. The camera does not know you are taking a picture of "dog with kid" or "meteor over city". It just knows you took two pictures. That is how many cameras name photos, though typically they stick them in different folders by date (assuming date and time are setup in the camera). So you can easily have many different photos named 000001 in many different folders. It is up to us users to rename the photos as we want.

As for your photos no longer on your camera, that is a setting in your camera to PC transfer program. If the photos were not deleted after the transfer, your camera's memory would fill up and you would not be able to take any more pictures until you freed up space. So it is common for photos to be deleted from the camera's memory after transfer.

As for emails, not sure there, but I do know that many ISPs limit the size of attachments. Check your camera resolution settings and file types. If set to high-resolution bitmaps (.bmp), for example, your image files could be HUGE - many megabytes. My camera saves two images for each shot - one large image in high-resolution and one smaller image in .jpg just for emails and social media postings.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    You say you don't have Outlook but then say Outlook is on the scene. ??? I don't understand. And note there are several Outlooks so we need to be specific. Outlook is an email program that you install on your computer. It is often with Microsoft Office. Outlook Express is also an email program, but very different from Outlook, obsolete and now no longer supported by Microsoft. Then there is Outlook.com - a web based email program. As for your photos no longer on your camera, that is a setting in your camera to PC transfer program. If the photos were not deleted after the transfer, your camera's memory would fill up and you would not be able to take any more pictures until you freed up space. So it is common for photos to be deleted from the camera's memory after transfer. As for emails, not sure there, but I do know that many ISPs limit the size of attachments. Check your camera resolution settings and file types. If set to high-resolution bitmaps (.bmp), for example, your image files could be HUGE - many megabytes. My camera saves two images for each shot - one large image in high-resolution and one smaller image in .jpg just for emails and social media postings.
    Thank you for your reply. For whatever is happening now, I didn't have to set up a profile in order to send a photo attachment. Now, when I download the photos directly from my camera to a folder, I click on one photo, then select "send to"... then "mail recipient" .... it asks if I want to make the photos smaller. I click "ok". Then it stops the download. A box pops up that had the heading Microsoft Office Outlook. In the box it says, No profiles have been created. To create a new profile use the Mail icon in the Control panel". I've tried that. After numerous attempts I can't create a profile. Don't know what to do at this point. It's never asked me to do this before. Also, how does one pick a desired photo out of the 200 marked only with numbers. Guess by process of elimination? I've also tried that and after clicking on close to 75 photos listed by number, I still haven't got the right one. 125 to go if I continue with that approach.
    Last edited by rjay81; 11-16-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Hi rjay81

I read your article and wonder if you can change the view to thumbnail in your folders
    that may help to see the image.
    Just a suggestion, good luck

Cremora
    Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU, E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 2.52GHz, 2.00GB of Ram.Used Space 10.3GB, Free Space 222GB, Capacity 232GB.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cremora For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cremora View Post
    Hi rjay81I read your article and wonder if you can change the view to thumbnail in your folders
    that may help to see the image.Just a suggestion, good luckCremora
    Thank you. I don't know how to do that.

So far, in waiting for a reply, I managed to download the latest photos to My Pictures. When I clicked on to send as an attachment, I was able to get to the folders that contained the pictures and attach several photo. However, after the fifth photo, a box popped up that said that Yahoo had partnered with Dropbox for large attachments and did I want to go that route. I went back to my camera, retook the photo and downsized it to the smallest possible, then tried to send it as an attachment. The same message popped up. I clicked "OK" but it wouldn't process.

Hi rjay81

If you go to My Pictures folder and click 'VIEW' on the top and select 'THUMBNAILS'
    this will change the view of your pictures in that folder, you can try all the options
    and see if any will help to see or identify the pictures more clearly.
    Maybe you would be better to open up your mail programme and start a mail to whoever
    you intended to send the pictures to and then insert the pictures from there.

Good luck

Cremora
    Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU, E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 2.52GHz, 2.00GB of Ram.Used Space 10.3GB, Free Space 222GB, Capacity 232GB.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cremora For This Useful Post:

Hi rjay81
    If you go to My Pictures folder and click 'VIEW' on the top and select 'THUMBNAILS'
    this will change the view of your pictures in that folder, you can try all the options
    and see if any will help to see or identify the pictures more clearly.
    Maybe you would be better to open up your mail programme and start a mail to whoever
    you intended to send the pictures to and then insert the pictures from there.
    Good luckCremora
    Yes, I can view the pictures in the folder. The problem is trying to get them from the folder to an email attachment. I did open
    up my mail program and then tried to send a photo as an attachment. That's when the problem began and boxes keep popping up
    saying that I have to set up a mail profile. I tried to do that but it wouldn't process it. Now a box will pop up saying to send through Drop box. I've never had to send any attachment through Drop box before and don't know how to do it now.

Hi
    What mail programme do you have installed that you usually use to send and receive mail?
    Are you on Xp..W7..W8/8.1 ?

Cheers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cremora For This Useful Post:

HiWhat mail programme do you have installed that you usually use to send and receive mail?
    Are you on Xp..W7..W8/8.1 ?Cheers

Sorry for the late reply(meetings all day). I'm on Windows XP .

Hi

Ok your on windows XP so are you using 'OUTLOOK EXPRESS' as your mail programme
    or 'MICROSOFT OFFICE OUTLOOK'.
    Whatever your using or should i say whatever you want to use needs to be nominated in
    internet explorer options... go to TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/PROGRAMMES and then nominate your choice in the
    in the box for e-mail.
    If this is the first time using mail then you need to configure the mail programme.

cheers

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cremora For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast