Blog Entries

Default Tower will not boot up

I have a Dell Dimension E521, AMD 64 Athelon X2 CPU, Windows Vista Home premium OS that suddenly will not boot up. The power light comes on, the DVD drives show activity like the OS is looking for a startup program and then the drives go quiet. The monitors (dual) do not show the PC is trying to boot.The CPU fan kicks into high speed shortly after powering up. Not sure if my hard drive has failed or the CPU is toast or a power supply problem.
    The tower may not be worth fixing but if I can get the hard drive back to working I would like to backup some archived files.

Any help is appreciated.

What color is the power light and is it on steady or blinking ?
    Last edited by zep516; 11-26-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Blog Entries

The power button is lit solid green and numbers 3 and 4 are flashing on the front panel. Never noticed that before. Normally those two numbers will light up and disappear.

numbers 3 and 4 are flashing on the front panel
    Those are dell diagnostic codes, we need to interpret those codes as they will provide a clue..

Can you Google--> "Dell Diagnostic codes front panel" and see if you can find out what those flashing numbers correspond to...

Also
    You should disconnect anything connected, printer, USB Drives, and at least one of the monitors.

Does anything appear on the monitor at all, dell logo, black screen with white letters ?

I would also see if the Dell will boot to SafeMode
    To do that:

Restart the computer, in you case turn it off then on, keep tapping the f8 key, see if you can get to the windows advanced boot options menu, black screen white letters.

Joe
    Last edited by zep516; 11-26-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Joe, thanks so much for your quick response. I located the Dell diagnostics code you suggested to discover I have a bad memory chip set. I removed each chip set until the PC would boot up and works just fine. I now need a 1 gig chip set.

Your the best. thank you.
    I would like to upgrade to a newer desktop. Do you have any recommendations?

Do you have any recommendations?
    Let me think about that, windows 10 is on the way but I'm not sure how long that will be,

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post: