Default Win 7 OS same as Win7/8 Pro Downgrade?

I want to buy a Win7 laptop and have found a couple of models that come with W7 Pro or W7 Home Premium and a larger selection which are offered with Windows 7/8 Pro downgrade :

"Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8 Pro 64-bit"

Is there a difference between the two versions of W7 here? That is, if you buy the 8 downgrade version are you getting a version of 7 that is really 8 made to look like 7 or are you getting 7 proper? If someone could clarify I'd be really grateful - thank you!

Steph
    Last edited by Steph; 12-02-2014 at 03:36 AM.
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

if you buy the 8 downgrade version are you getting a version of 7 that is really 8 made to look like 7 or are you getting 7 proper?
    As far as I can tell, your buying a computer that originally had Windows 8, but was downgraded to Windows 7 by reinstalling the Windows 7 software.

Then from what I understand and I really don't, you can purchase a windows 8 with a downgrade license to win 7.
    Last edited by zep516; 12-02-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Then from what I understand and I really don't
    Lol! Join the club

OK, that's about as clear an answer as I'm likely to get - so it looks as if it's a full W7 then. I think you also get the W8 disc to upgrade later if you want but I'm not really sure how it works, I'll check again.

Thanks Joe

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

OK, Windows 8 up grade. Might need that for when windows 10 comes out. It's getting ready late in 2015 I think...

J

I heard that too - wonder what happened to W9?!

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Anyway.

I thought you had a new computer ? Are you Christmas shopping already

J

Good memory! I do have a new PC, this is just an additional machine - sort of an early xmas present to myself! I'm just sick of fighting for computer time so it will means at least two of us can be online at the same time if necessary. Less arguments and interruptions = a more peaceful household!

I'm trying to decide between three different machines at the moment. The specs and prices are pretty similar and it won't be carried around so weight and battery life aren't so important, it's more a question of reliability and quality I suppose. They're all Core i3 processors, 4 gig RAM, 500 gig HDD :

Toshiba Satellite Pro (processor 1.7 GHz); HP 450 G2 (processor 1.9 GHz); Fujitsu Lifebook A544 (processor 2.4 GHz). On the face of it the spec for the Fujitsu looks better but I've read conflicting reviews for all of them so not sure which to go for. The Toshiba does have a reliability guarantee - if it fails during the guarantee period they'll repair and refund the cost of the machine but it's the slowest processor.

My usual indecision so any comments or ideas gratefully received!

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Have you seen "digerati " He's so good with this sort of thing. It just takes a long time to read everything he has to say

If I was buying now I'm not even certain what I would consider.

I'll look at those choices you made and see If I can provide any feedback..... The Toshiba stands out immediately because of the reliability thing, and I like the brand, I have no problem with HP either. As far as Fujitsu I'm unfamiliar with them.

Joe

Thanks Joe, any feedback appreciated And Digerati's too if he's listening, his advice when I was deciding on the spec for the PC was invaluable! And the UPS he recommended has already saved the system twice in some really bad storms when we got hit by lightening and other things blew so that has paid for itself already several times over.

My old XP laptop is also a toshiba satellite pro and I also like the brand (still going reliably so far but no use online anymore and deathly slow as only 1 gig RAM and 1.6GHz dual core). This present possibility is a Satellite Pro R50-B-12W. I've always had a slight prejudice against HP, not through experience but because I heard their products always came with a lot of bloatware - but I guess you can just remove what you don't want so not really an issue at all I suppose. Fujitsu - no idea either.

If I was buying now I'm not even certain what I would consider
    I know exactly what you mean. Slim offerings at the moment unless you want to change from MS completely and spend a fortune on something like Apple

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11