Default No laptop display

Hello 'help2go', please can you help?

I have an ACER Aspire 6930G with no display. The laptop starts up no problem but there's no display whatsoever. Please can you give me any directions on this? Will I need a new screen or is it something simple? The laptop is approximately 4-5 years old, and while I understand that laptops this age will start going wrong, money is tight & I really can't afford anything major. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Boot the Laptop to safe mode see if a screen appears there.

I know you can't see but go through the motions. Turn the computer off, now turn it back on as soon as you turn it on keep tapping the F8 Key. Try it a few times.

Let us know if you can get a black screen with white letters

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Hello 'Zep516', nice to 'meet' you, I've followed your instructions & tried numerous times to restart & pressing F8 but I get nothing whatsoever, sorry.

I've also tried connecting to an external monitor.....but there's nothing, not even a twinkle. Any ideas please???

Thank you......I've sorted it now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Iamattam For This Useful Post:

What was it?

I was going to just suggest to shine a flashlight into the screen to see if you could see the desktop. Indicating the backlight is out.

Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Hello Zep516, really, really sorry I had to go so abruptly. Having shone a torch into the screen (I read your post reply), I saw what appeared to be the Windows logo but it was very, very faint. If the back light is out, finances certainly don't allow to go down the route of 'process elimination', its therefore probable that a refurbished laptop is on the Christmas list. Thank you so much again for your help. You're a gentleman & a scholar. (I observe you're from Pittsburgh?) Merry Christmas America. God bless.

Having the inverter and CCFL (cold-cathode florescent lamp) replaced should still cost less than a new (even refurbished) notebook. This is a very common repair and many local shops do this for a flat rate plus parts which typically are less than $150, some parts are as low as $50 (depending on availability and screen size). If charged labor by the hour, it should be no more than 2 hours, typically just 1. And the advantage here is all your data and installed programs are still there.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Thanks Digerati, really appreciate the information. Unfortunately the prices here in the UK, particularly where I'm based, are extortionate, and the laptop is rather old, so its probably more cost effective & logical to get a newer laptop. Thank you again.

Unfortunately the prices here in the UK,
    Okay, but the parts are the same so the exchange rates apply and should not cost more. And having lived in the UK for a years myself, I can tell you for a fact, 1 hour in the US is 1 hour in the UK!

That said, getting something more current will likely carry you further down the road than fixing an already old machine that is likely to suffer from other HW problems soon. But it will likely cost more upfront than replacing the inverter and CCFL. So if the budget does not allow for something newer, then consider fixing this one.

However, I am concerned that you tried connecting to an external monitor and got nothing. A bad inverter or CCFL in the notebook's monitor has nothing to do with an external monitor. Note you have to press a specific Fn + F-key combination to enable the display on external monitors. And typically, you can extend the usefulness of a notebook with a failed inverter, CCFL, or screen by basically turning it into a desktop by using an external monitor full time.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post: