Default Wireless streaming laptop to TV

I get BT Sport free with my broadband but I have to watch it on my laptop. I would like to watch the football on my TV so I need a way to wirelessly stream it. I have found a way to stream video stored on my laptop but not things that are shown live. I did a Google search and found information that either involves buying other kit or just doesn't work. I know the easiest way is to connect the laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable but I really need to do it wirelessly. I have a NowTV box (not sure if that can help).

For anyone outside the UK who has no idea what i'm on about BT is my broadband supplier. They give free sports channels as part of the deal but unless I buy a box from them I can only watch on my laptop (or desktop if I still had one). A NowTV box is a sort of pay as you go way to subscribe to sports/films/entertainment from Sky TV. I heard it can also be used as a meda streamer as it is basically a reconstructed Roku box.

ww.nowtv.com
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Wouldn't the TV have to be Internet ready to receive the wireless signal from the laptop ? Or am I missing something !

Joe

It is a smart TV

OK.
    Just verifying that part re smart TV
    Unfortunately,

I can't directly help you with this immediate issue because I don't have the knowledge to provide any sort of step by step instruction and am not knowledgeable about the devices you're using. I can when time permits conduct a bit of research for you and see what comes up. I would think some people in your area might be doing this, not sure how to conduct a survey to find out how and if there doing it successfully.

Joe

Others may reply too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

OK Thanks anyway

It is a smart TV
    A "smart" TV should already support a network connection. Your notebook should not be needed unless the TV does not support the streaming service you are using. My TV, for example, is "smart" but it does not support Pandora. So I had to stream through my Blu-ray player which does, then connect my Blu-ray player via HDMI to my HT receiver, which then fed my TV and surround sound speakers. Then I bought a Roku device that works pretty much the same way. The Roku is connected to my network, then feeds my HT receiver.

If you really need wireless, you might look into a wireless HDMI adapter. But I have no first-hand experience with any. Some report they work great, others complain they don't. But with so many variables (capabilities of the various devices, not to mention the local network and Internet connection), it is hard to tell where the problems are.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Digerati

My smart TV is connected to my home network but it doesn't display every website and it is very slow. I looked at the Google Chromecast, it has very mixed reviews. Some people say it is brilliant, others say it is a waste of money. I will ask in my local computer shop after Christmas.

Thanks

I decided to take a chance and bought a Google Chromecast. It was easy to set up and works well with one exception. I tried to watch live football on BT Sport. The picture always appears as a small rectangle in the middle of the screen. I click the full screen button and get a full screen picture on my laptop. But with the Chromecast I get the small picture but as soon as I click full screen it blacks out. I can still see the rest of the page (mostly adverts) but the football goes black. I can still watch in full screen mode on my laptop. Any ideas how to fix this?

Never used it so no help from me. I would check google otherwise, some one with experience may come by.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post: