Default how to protect files against loss

I've been meaning to post about this for awhile. I have quite a few files that have accumulated over a period of time that I would like to save. When I first got my computer there were discs that could be used in case my computer malfunctioned in some way but they are always saying to back up files. I haven't and would like to learn how to.

I don't fully understand the process. I see advertised 64GB USB drives and wonder if I got one if it would load all my files into it for safekeeping. Would it remove the files and put them into the USB drive or just copy them? If my computer hard drive did break down at some point, would it just be a matter of plugging the USB drive into the new hard drive and it would load all my files into that hard drive? Would getting an external hard drive work?

As I said, I don't fully understand exactly what I would need and what I would need to do to protect all my files against loss that could occur if my hard drive failed and would appreciate some direction.

Hi rayj81,

I do apologize for the delay in responding. You can transfer your personal files, such as pictures, music and documents onto a USB Flash Drive or an External hard drive.

To accomplish this, click on Start > Computer > C: (local disk) > user > your profile account. You can either right click on the whole profile folder and choose copy, or open up your profile folder and right click on the My Music, My Pictures, etc. folder(s) and choose copy.

Then, after inserting which ever device you choose to save the files on, plug either the USB Flash Drive or External Hard drive into a USB port, click on Start > Computer and look for the device under Devices with removable storage, click to open the device, right click and choose paste.

It is really simple. Let me know how it goes...

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 02-07-2015 at 08:47 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    You can transfer your personal files, such as pictures, music and documents onto a USB Flash Drive or an External hard drive.
    Thank you for your reply. I have about 10 years worth of files. I have a 3 GB flash drive but wonder if I need a bigger one and if so, what size.

I see that some of them say 2.0 and 3.0. Which one should I be looking for?

Would a 64 GB USB flash drive be big enough if using it for storage?

How does one tell, in doing this that the USB drive has a big enough capacity or just isn't big enough and only some of the files have been stored?

When transferring to a USB flash drive does it just copy to the drive or does it remove them from the computer completely?

I would be looking for the USB flash drive to work more as storage and not as a transfer device. Also, I have some collected information sent as emails that I would want to save. They're not in files. How do I turn emails into a file?
    Last edited by rjay81; 02-08-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Hi rjay81,

I doubt that 3GB flash drive will be sufficient for 10 years worth of files. To find out how many GB's of files you have, click on Start > Computer > Local Disk C: > User > your account profile name then right click on folder(s) the files are in and choose Properties at the bottom of the list. The size of the folder will be listed. If you have files spread out over several folders, just find the size of all the folders in the same manner and add them together to find the total size of all your file folders. If all the files total 80BG's or more, you know that a 64GB flash drive will be too small. Personally, if you have that many files, it might best best if you purchase a 1 Terabyte external hard drive so you have space to keep adding file as you wish.

When your right click on the files or folders and choose copy, then right click on the storage device (usb flash drive or external) to paste the files or folders, you will only be transferring copies of the originals which will still exist on your computers hard drive. Do not choose CUT from the list of options when you right click. That option will remove the original files and folders from your computer.

If you transfer the files manually, you won't have to worry about transferring duplicates that have already been transferred.

There is a way to connect an external hard drive to your computer and set up automatic back ups that will back up everything, even what has already been backed up, but I have never taken the time to learn how to do that. I just transfer mine manually as I have been sharing with you.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    I doubt that 3GB flash drive will be sufficient for 10 years worth of files. ...... If you transfer the files manually, you won't have to worry about transferring duplicates that have already been transferred. There is a way to connect an external hard drive to your computer and set up automatic back ups that will back up everything, even what has already been backed up, but I have never taken the time to learn how to do that. I just transfer mine manually as I have been sharing with you.
    Thank you very much. It's going to take me some time to go through this info and locate the correct size USB flash drive. I'll post
    back if I have any problems. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

If you have a lot of files to save, I would buy an external hard drive of 1 TB at least and backup my files using Allway Sync, which is a great program that mirrors the files you have selected with the content of your external hard drive. Thank you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pcdoctorwestchester For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pcdoctorwestchester View Post
    If you have a lot of files to save, I would buy an external hard drive of 1 TB at least and backup my files using Allway Sync, which is a great program that mirrors the files you have selected with the content of your external hard drive. Thank you.
    That's handy to know. Thanks.