Default Hard drive not working

Hi, I went to turn on my hard drive and nothing happened. I thought I might be the plug so I changed the plug. Then I thought it might be the outlet. No. It's a Compaq Presario. When I lifted the hard drive to try it in another outlet there was a rattling sound like something had fallen loose inside. The hard drive has been sitting in the same spot for years so I didn't know how something could suddenly become
    detached. I took the side off to find a silver 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 metal piece with two silver stiff metal wires coming out of the sides - the ends looped as though they were to attach to something but I couldn't find out what. The back had dried glue. When I looked as to where there was dried glue and nothing attached there was the same sized area on the motherboard(?). I don't know even if I glue it back on, where to attach the wires to (there's nothing around it that looks like the wires could loop over it) and even if it would work if I did. The other thing is that I urgently need a computer right now and, right now, they
    are higher than I can pay at the moment. There is a Seagate portable 2TB hard drive for sale at Staples. They advertise it as a portable backup hard drive for $114.99. Would that work? Would it have the same connections as the hard drive I have now so it would be a simple matter of reconnecting? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

I am having a hard time understanding your issue.

To verify, this hard drive you are having problems with is an external drive you've had for years? How did it connect to your computer? Did you install the drive in the enclosure, or did it come already installed?

Compaq Presario doesn't mean anything. There are dozens of PCs and notebooks and all-in-ones with the Compaq Presario moniker.

The device with glue on it sounds like it could be a heatsink, but I don't understand why it would have wires unless it also has or had a fan attached.

You didn't tell us the model of the 2Tb Seagate portable so not sure how it will connect. Most likely it uses USB, but some connect via Ethernet or even eSATA. And you did not tell us how your current drive connects so we don't know if it will be the same way. My guess is yes.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    I am having a hard time understanding your issue. To verify, this hard drive you are having problems with is an external drive you've had for years? How did it connect to your computer? Did you install the drive in the enclosure, or did it come already installed?.
    Sorry for the late reply. This is my only computer at the moment and, right now, I'm at the local library using their computer. I will try to get the Model and Make of my computer and reply again. I guess I'm not using the right terminology. What went was the processor 512MB. It just didn't turn on. I see now that an external hard drive isn't going to help me because it has to connect to the main processor. I just though that maybe there was something I wasn't thinking about like, during a power outage( although it didn't have a power surge extension cord) it would flip something off that I didn't know had to be turned on again.

I guess I'm not using the right terminology. What went was the processor 512MB.
    I see now that an external hard drive isn't going to help me because it has to connect to the main processor
    Yeah, there's still a terminology problem.

You say "processor 512Mb" but that really does not make sense. The "processor" is typically the CPU, or central processing unit and it mounts on the motherboard. The processor would be an Intel or AMD and is normally indicated by speed, like 3.0GHz (gigahertz).

512Mb is a memory indictor, or RAM (random access memory) and is indicated by size - in this case 512Mb (megabytes).

The RAM is also on the motherboard and the RAM is used by the CPU to hold data the CPU is processing.

The RAM, CPU and motherboard, along with some form of graphic solution (also mounted on, or integrated with the motherboard) are the primary components that make a computer.

Other components will be the power supply and mass storage devices the hard drives, and these all fit inside the computer case. There typically is an internal hard drive that is the "boot" drive and is where the operating system (normally Windows) and your programs (like Word, your browser, etc.) are stored, as well as your data files.

There is sometimes an external drive that is typically attached via a USB cable to the computer either directly to a USB port on the motherboard in back, or to the case in front (which is then connected internally to the motherboard).

Typically, external drives are used to keep backups of the boot drive, or for mass storage of other files like songs, photos, videos or other user files like documents too. Most external drives have their own power supplies.

You typically don't use or need the external drive for the computer to work boot into Windows and operate normally.

I hope with that, you can better sort out how to explain you problem so we can better understand your plight.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────