Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Probably a silly question but, how would I confirm whether there is a wireless facility or not with the laptop please?
    Not silly but sure confusing. I note earlier you said,
    It did work previously with no problems.
    That would sure tell me that notebook has a wireless adapter installed internally, or did have an external (most likely USB) adapter connected to it.

When I look for 53511 so you need to verify the model number. Then look up the specs and see if wireless is included. You can also look in Device Manager and you should have two network adapters listed, the Ethernet (wired) and the wireless.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Iamattam View Post
    In the device manager (looking at Ethernet controller, network controller, and PCI simple communications controller), there are three yellow boxes against each, with exclamation marks? I've checked each item & it says, "drivers for the item are not installed - code 28"?
    Hi Iamattam,

Have you had any success getting this notebook connected yet?

You could try clicking on those drivers with the yellow exclamations marks, then uninstall the drivers. When you reboot the notebook, windows should automatically search for the drivers and reinstall them.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi 'DonnaB' Thank you for the kind support. Yes I've managed to connect to the internet but only with an Ethernet cable. I'm still not sure if any wireless connection is possible. I'll follow your advice & try to uninstall the drivers & then reboot Windows. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again.

You're welcome!

And please do keep us informed.

I am wondering why all of a sudden you are not able to connect by wireless if you were able to in the past. I know there has been a time or two that Windows Updates will offer driver updates that can cause corruption. Not saying this is what happened, just a thought......
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Hi DonnaB, Having looked (as far as I know where to look...control panel, device manager, etc.) for a wireless adapter/device, I can't find anything. I've downloaded an Ethernet driver anyway, and I can now get internet connection with a cable but still no wireless connection. The laptop previously belonged to a guy of whom I know very well. I don't know if he used it with the internet via cable or wireless, I have no idea. I'm trying to make contact with him to find out how he connected. My guess is that he had cable but no wireless capability? I'll let you know if you wish.

When you go to Device Manager, is there any mention of wireless (might say RealTek) Network Adapter found under Network Adapters after you click on the + sign to expand the section?

Have a look an post exactly what you see there.

In your first post you said this was a Samsung 53511. Are you sure the first 5 is not an S in the model number? Such as S5311?

You might be able to find the model number by click on your start orb then right on Computer then clicking on Properties at the bottom of the right click menu list. The Manufacturer and Model number should be displayed and found under the System section.

Hi, thank you again for continued support, sorry...I stand corrected, yes the model is a 'Samsung S3511'. And as far as I can make out, there is a reference to 'RealTek', however, I've attempted to install a wireless adapter to the laptop but it isn't recognised. I'll try something else & let you know again. Thanks

Does that RealTek entry have a yellow exclamation mark next to it?

As I said above, you could try to left click to highlight, then right click and choose uninstall. When you reboot the computer,window should search to find new hardware and reinstall the driver. Try that and let me know what happens.

EDIT:

I've attempted to install a wireless adapter to the laptop but it isn't recognised.
    How did you try to do that?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hi DonnaB, having looked at the device manager (again), what I see next to the network adapter is...'RealTek PCIe GBE family controller'. And I've just had confirmation from the previous owner that he DID run the laptop on wireless. Any idea please how I would re-establish this? Thanks

According to the manual found here wireless support is optional. You might want to contact the previous owner and see if it came with it.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast