Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No internet connection?

Hi, please could you help me? I have a Samsung 53511 laptop. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I'm attempting to connect to the internet, I've tried everything, cable connection...network wireless adapter...wireless booster, nothing works. I've tried to download an Ethernet driver, just nothing seems to work & I'm pulling my hair out (no wonder I'm going bald)!!!! Please could you give me some direction, wisdom, or correction because I'm obviously doing something wrong or I'm missing something important (my wife thinks I've lost the plot....I blame it on my age)!! But seriously, if you need any further information please ask, but if you could suggest anything I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Did it used to work? Do other computers connect okay? Can you see you router via your browser? If so, that means your network connection works, just not getting out to the Internet.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Thank you for replying. Yes, other computers do connect to the internet. I think its a problem with just that laptop. It did work previously with no problems. Please can you explain, how do I see the router from the browser?

Typically, you enter the IP address of the router. It is usually something similar to 192.168. 1.1. Do you have any errors in Device Manager?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

In the device manager (looking at Ethernet controller, network controller, and PCI simple communications controller), there are three yellow boxes against each, with exclamation marks? I've checked each item & it says, "drivers for the item are not installed - code 28"?

Have you done a full reboot - that is powered down AND unplugged the computer from the wall for a few seconds to ensure all standby voltages are removed, then boot up.

Simply rebooting does not totally remove the standby voltage, or release any settings it may be holding.

Code 28 typically indicates the device is disabled. So if problem persists, you may need to look in the BIOS Setup Menu to see if they are enabled.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Hi Digerati, thank you again for the support. I've since checked the bios (have no idea what I'm looking for though), and I've also powered down completely, and rebooted. But I still have no internet. Would it make any difference taking the battery out & then replacing it? I wouldn't have thought that would make any difference to the network/internet connection but hey...I'll try anything once!! I'm totally lost for any further ideas......please?

Hi Digerati, I've also since attempted to download Ethernet drivers for windows 7 64bit but as yet even this hasn't worked although I've only tried to connect again via a wireless booster, I haven't tried connecting via a cable as yet. If this works I'll let you know. If it doesn't work, I'll propel the laptop out the window......then let you know!!!

Sorry, I forgot this was a notebook and not a PC so unplugging from the wall served no purpose.

I note on my notebook there is a little button (and antenna light) on the front to immediately disable wireless. I have accidently hit it before.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Hi Digerati - I've managed to establish a connection to the internet via an Ethernet cable, but I can't seem to establish connection via wireless. Probably a silly question but, how would I confirm whether there is a wireless facility or not with the laptop please?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast