Default Leave page or stay

I have searched for this on the net and found a suggestion how to stop it by going to IE, options, security, custom and enabling or disabling XSS filter, can't remember which now, disabling I think. I also read that this is a problem with users who have IE 10 and Firefox, I have that. I have W7, IE 10, Firefox 28 and 30 something and Avast. FF 28 is the default browser. This just recently started and I know others are having the same problem. I know it is simple to just click and close it, but I like to know what is causing it. If you all can't help I will download another version of IE see if it goes away.

Here is a screen print of the pop up.

leave page.jpg
    Attached Images

That's actually programmed into the page you are visiting. Some think it is an annoying gimmick to keep you from leaving the page. Others see it as a helpful warning you might lose your data if you leave. I find it both annoying and convenient - depending on what site I am visiting and what I am doing.

It is NOT a browser thing. And you can prove that by pasting the following link into IE, Chrome, and FF, then try to close that tab or click the back arrow to back out. You will get a similar error with each browser.

onbeforeunload Event Sample

Because the alert is put there by design by the website developer, I know of no way to disable it. If you find one, come back and let us know.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

I did what you said and I got the message when I left the MS site.

Thank you for your reply.

It may be a site thing. The garden web where I post was just bought by Houzz and the problem started shortly there after. I will post a question in there and ask if any others are getting that message.

It may be a site thing.
    As I noted, it IS a site thing. If not, you would get the same message when you leave this page too.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Thanks, I asked on the site if others get that message and they say they do after they submit a reply then edit the reply.

Yeah, that make sense they get it too, but I think it is sad to get the messing warning of lost data AFTER you submit the reply. That doesn't make sense to me, but that is how it works.

It does seem to be javascript used in webpage coding (NOT to be confused with Java - totally different).
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────