Default Mouse Pointer and a lot more

Running Windows 7 Pro on an HP Envy/Phoenix.
    Sometimes lately when running mouse pointer just freezes.
    I have run JRT, SpyBot, MSE full,& Malware Bytes. (nothing reported, that's why I chose this forum).
    I restored machine, but the date may have been after this started.
    Got a message that nothing had changed.
    Suddenly MS said that I had 28 updates. (this may be a rabbit trail as far as this problem goes).
    I tried to down load and got a message about 5 not downloading properly. Let report go to MS. They didn't say that they found a problem.
    Tried again, and download sucessful.
    Back to main problem.
    When pointer freezes, I power down. I think that a lot power downs are not good for a machine.
    When I power up, I get a white on black screen. I can't move off the normal boot. So I wait until I get screen for Admin and Me.
    If I hit Caps lock, (for my password) It tell me wrong password, then goes to "welcome green screen" don't know how long that would run.
    workaround log into admin (lower case) and then switch user.
    Have not tried recovery disk.
    That would have been my next step, if I can find it.
    Maybe you have better suggestion(s).
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Alex

Alex,

Did that machine come with windows 7 pre-installed ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

No sir, By my notes it got 7 loaded on April 16th 2015.

April 16th 2015 has not arrived yet, it's only march 10 2015, at least in Pittsburgh

Did you install Windows 7 ? What I'm getting at did this machine ever have windows 8 installed on it ?

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Sorry about that I meant 2014.
    When I booted W8 got big message that you could return to W7.
    I tried MS and HP, neither admitted to putting that message.
    Finally MS (I think) sold me a disk. (later they denied that it was their disk)
    Disk didn't work. They came on one guy wanted to read my emails, and I don't know what else on my computer.
    Finally I got my money back and kept the disk. They didn't want it back.
    I was at a high school reunion talking to old friend who had beautiful pictures on his laptop. I asked his version, he said he had W8 and had went to W7. I called the guy he used, and he was great. I guess I'll call him again, if I can't get this problem resolved. Anyway, after a few changes to W7 I am happy with what I have works a lot like XP and machine a lot faster than Pentium, I think the system W7 is faster than XP.

Here's what possibly could be the issue.

Do-it-yourself downgrades are more complex with Windows 8, however: Users must first modify the PC's BIOS to boot into what's called "legacy mode." By default, Windows 8 uses UEFI-mode (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) boot on new PCs to enable some new features, including Secure Boot.
    Also,
    HP urges consumer customers not to downgrade new PCs to Windows 7

See here -->HP urges consumer customers not to downgrade new PCs to Windows 7 | Computerworld

I'd call that guy and have him look at it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Seemed to work fine for those many months.
    This morning while stumbling around I remembered a very expensive (for my employer) on a system that I am not sure anyone we had was an expert on so they sent me. I think that the installers just installed (years before) until the things worked. There were several different configurations. Usually the locals had been trying before they called the help desk. It could get tricky. Anyway after a day or two in I don't remember where, I thought we had the equipment working, was trying to get out of there. Then one of the operations guys was trying to start up their routine and said it is the same way. When they hit a certain key, they jumped to the wrong screen. DUH replaced keyboard.
    Since I have some keyboards decided to replace keyboard.

However, while checking email MS offered downloads (restart necessary).
    When logon screen came up, I hit cap lock before I hit my account picture and got right in.

Thanks for your patience and if I should appologize for the personal story just delete this log completely. At least let's just close it out
    Thanks for all you do.

Just restarted and it worked fine with selecting the picture first. Guess one of those things that come and go.
    Last edited by Arbfarkle; 03-12-2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: ADD

Hi Arbfarkle,

In your post above you said that MS offered downloads (restart necessary). Did this happen on Tuesday the 10th? If so, that may be the result of Windows Updates. Every first Tuesday if the month is what is called Patch Tuesday from MS.

See here.

As for the following that you said in your first post:

I restored machine, but the date may have been after this started.
    Got a message that nothing had changed.
    Suddenly MS said that I had 28 updates.
    You restored the system back to before those Windows Updates so they were offered again to be installed. That is normal.

When I power up, I get a white on black screen.
    That is normal, too. Anytime you press the power button to turn off a computer instead of going through the process of shutting down normally, you will get that white on black screen stating that windows will start in a certain amount of seconds if you don't press the enter key to start Windows yourself.

I think that a lot power downs are not good for a machine.
    It is not good for a machine. This can cause file corruption.

Read more here.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post: