Default Problems accessing internet content

I wonder please if you could help me? A friend of mind has a rather old computer, a tower (I'm sure it belonged to Noah)!!! He can't access certain web sites, and sometimes even his browser will crash. He's running Windows XP, though I don't know what processor he has. I've checked his Ethernet card & this is firmly attached in the slot, so it isn't that (unless of course the card itself has died)? But he can still access particular sites (msn, Google, help2go, etc.) so the card couldn't have died. I've attached a different Ethernet cable (he doesn't have {Wi-Fi}wireless.......wasn't around in Noah's time), but that made no difference. However, when I uninstalled 'Firefox', this seemed to improve the situation, and yet he told me he had 'Firefox' previously & there was no problem? I'm thinking that somehow a programme somewhere is conflicting with his internet experience & therefore he can only access limited sites, and even conflictions that cause his internet connection to crash? Am I thinking along the right lines? Please are you able to advise? Thank you for your time.

Has he scanned for malware? If so, with what?

Nothing wrong with Ethernet, BTW. I will take it over wifi any day.

I've checked his Ethernet card & this is firmly attached in the slot, so it isn't that (unless of course the card itself has died)?
    If there were problems with the Ethernet card, it would not block "certain" sites. He would have problems with all sites, or lose his network connection completely.

Still running XP is risky at best. He needs to upgrade to a newer version of Windows (if the hardware will support it) or migrate to one of the many free and capable versions of Linux. I hope he at least has XP up to SP3 and the most recent updates.

Does it work with IE8?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Hi, thank you for the support. I'm really sorry I can't give you any update yet because I'm not seeing my friend until at least Friday. I apologise.....as soon as I've checked in with him & run your ideas & advice by him I'll come back to you. You're quite right though as well about XP.....but he's a bit behind with technology!! Get back to you soon,,,, thanks again.

Hi Iamattam,

Do follow Digerati's advice and ask your friend to post here if he can. We do need to eliminate the possibility of infection. Malware can, and will block "certain" sites. Could just be a proxy has been set as well, but to find out what caused this, we will need to run some scans and view the logs.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"