Default Wifi on laptop shuts off when I plug in battery cable

This is a almost brand new Toshiba laptop, and it's been doing this since the day I bought it, and I can't find anyone with the same problem online. Also, sometimes when it starts up, the wifi takes a while to come on. (The wifi icon will have an X on it, and when I try to troubleshoot, sometimes it can't even see Wifi networks at all, saying they are unavailable.)

No idea why this does this........anyone have any ideas? Running windows 8.1.

Hi CollegeKid,

Just how brand new is this laptop? I found a topic here that might be of interest to you. Does anything seem familiar with your past or present issues up to this point.

What model is your Toshiba laptop.

If this laptop is still under warranty, I would have it looked at.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

This is a almost brand new Toshiba laptop, and it's been doing this since the day I bought it
    Then you need to contact Toshiba tech support immediately.

Wifi on laptop shuts off when I plug in battery cable
    Does wifi come back automatically when you unplug the cable? Are you sure you are not accidently pressing the wifi disable/enable button? I have a Toshiba and I noticed (until I pointed it out to him) that my grandson would accidently press the wifi disable button on the front edge of the notebook when he inserted or removed the power cable.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Thanks to you both! And wifi comes back on after a few minutes of having the cable plugged in, and even when I start the laptop up, it will say there's no wifi for anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. I bought the laptop in December.

I'll try getting a hold of tech support and keep everyone updated.

So update. I was playing around in the power settings......and when my laptop is on 'charge' the setting for the wifi adapter was 'power saving' which meant it got turned off? So I set it up to 'maximum performance' and so far, no issues today. Will keep you all updated.

and when my laptop is on 'charge' the setting for the wifi adapter was 'power saving' which meant it got turned off?
    Probably - and I bet is says so in your manual too! Something obvious we should have said to check.

That said, your description of the problem was that the notebook shut off, not wifi.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────