Smile Windows 8 problem

I bought a new PC Lenovo I5 because the MB of my old XP customPC broke, I started with dos then w95, 98, 2k, xp, and I never saw such a garbage, Im really tempted to return the MF and get the old sputter fixed.
    It just lost several settings that I had to reimpost and is 4 days that I trying to eliminate garbage nobody needs, and trying to find applications everybody needs like the file and folders and my documents and others....
    thanks

Hi April4,

Welcome to Help2Go!

I have moved your topic to the computer help forum since it appears that you just need help learning how to navigate around your new Windows 8.

Migrating from Windows XP to Windows 8 is a BIG leap and quite confusing for many, especially if you never used Vista or Windows 7. I know exactly how frustrated you are. I recently purchased a Windows 8 netbook and let me tell you, I am ready to toss it out the window.

There are many tutorials that focus on how to navigate around Windows 8 on Youtube that might help you.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask if there is anything specific that we can help you accomplish.

Other members might have some information to add as well, so please stay tuned.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

I must be a bit of a Luddite for I just don't like W8's UI either. Perhaps is just stubborn resistance out of irritation at MS for forcing the new UI on us in their misguided attempt to get everyone to buy their Windows Phones that have the same look and feel as W8. Or maybe it is just normal human nature and being resistant to change.

But BY FAR, Windows 8 is a superior OS in terms of performance and security so you should stick with it (or go Linux). Remember, W7 is already 6 years old. So if the complaint with Windows 8/8.1 is primarily the Windows 8 "metro" style “Start Screen” and user interface (UI), then I recommend you check out Start8. Start8 brings back the familiar W7 Start Orb and Start Menu and lets you boot directly to the Windows Desktop instead of the Windows 8 Start Screen that so many people dislike (though you can do that now with W8.1). With Start8, W8.x works and looks and feels almost exactly like the familiar W7. It cost $5 (after a 30-day trial period), but it is well worth it IMO. And, even at just $5, it has the "polished feel" I expect from a paid product that may not be seen in some free alternatives.

There is also Classic Shell. This product also brings back the Start Orb and menu, is free and very popular too. However, it has extra features and goodies that some feel is unneeded "fluff". That said, it works very well so a few rough edges can easily be overlooked.

StartIsBack and Pokki are two more popular start screen alternatives. StartIsBack is not free, but pretty close at $3.

trying to eliminate garbage nobody needs
    That may be the fault of the computer maker foisting junk on the system and not Microsoft. This is one reason I build my own computers. PC Decrapifier is great at uninstalling the many unwanted extras typically installed on factory built computers. Note, it does nothing without your consent. It first prompts you to select if this is a new computer or not, then it prompts to create a System Restore point. Then it scans and lists what it finds - but not without first a stern warning that it cannot always distinguish between "Trial" software (the crap) installed on new computers and "Full" versions (not crap) of that software. For example, when I run it on this system, it reports MS Office, which often came in a trial version on many factory built systems. The trial version only needs a license key entered to "register" it. Other than that, the essential executables are identical.

But as I noted, it does nothing without consent. So nothing listed is pre-checked for removal. You have to manually select what you no longer want so even if some "click-happy" user just keeps clicking "Next >", nothing will be removed by default. Very nice, IMO - especially with notebooks, which tend to be crapped up the most, but also have programs unfamiliar to the user that may be needed by the proprietary :banghead: features the makers foist - err... I mean so gracefully shove - err... I mean conveniently preload on their notebooks.

If you really want to avoid all the crapware, build your own computers!
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Digerati,I appreciate your prompt reply , many thanks for those informations!It is really helpful !

No problem and good luck.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────