Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Foxit Reader installation problems

A foxit reader update (7.1.3.0320) became available but every time I tried to install it, as soon as I got to the final stage it kept telling me to close Foxit (it wasn't open) and try again before it could continue. So I could get no further with the installation. I decided the best thing was to uninstall it through Add and Remove and then do a fresh install but having uninstalled it I'm getting the same problem. So now I have no pdf reader and foxit won't complete the installation. Any ideas please? Never had a problem with foxit updates before and really don't like Adobe so any help gratefully received.

Thanks as always
    Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph,

What OS? I only ask since I know that at one time you had XP and you mentioned Add/Remove in your 1st post.

See if deleting the C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software folder helps in any way after you uninstall from the Control Panel. Maybe if you start from scratch, that will help.

If you continue to have issues, you could always try Sumatra Reader. Unlike FoxIt, you don't have to worry about any toolbars that might sneak in with the download/install.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi Donna, thanks for replying

OS is W7, just habit calling it Add and Remove! I uninstalled it through Control Panel>Programs and Features.

I tried your suggestion but when I tried deleting the Foxit folder it said "Action can't be completed because the folder or file is open in another program. Close and try again". Except it wasn't open of course. Pretty much the same sort of response as when I tried completing the update and then the fresh install - I keep being told that Foxit is open somewhere and needs to close first. I checked through Task Manager but couldn't see any evidence of anything to do with foxit running so I'm pretty stumped - any ideas?

Thanks again
    Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Sounds like something is stuck in memory or....

Is this a laptop? You do shut it down when not in use, right?

See if the following helps:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View (tab)

Look for Launch folder windows in a separate process and place a checkmark in it. Reboot and try again,

Let me know if that helps.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hi Donna, all sorted, thank you, another notch on your belt!

I'm using a PC and it is shut down each day. However, when you asked about shutting down I realised I hadn't restarted after uninstalling foxit and before trying to delete the foxit folder as you suggested. So I did that and then I was able to delete the foxit folder and when I ran the setup file (already downloaded and sitting on the desktop) I managed to install the new update without any problems.

When I looked at the Launch folder windows in a separate process I saw that it was unchecked though - should it be checked anyway do you think?

Thanks again for sorting me out

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Just leave the Launch folder windows in a separate process check box as is since you have it sorted.

I was going to ask if you rebooted after you uninstalled FoxIt. Sometimes things can be left in memory which causes this error and if the system is not rebooted the memory is not cleared.

Glad you got it sorted.

Donna

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

OK, I'll leave it unchecked.

All working well now, thanks again

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

You're welcome Steph!

By the way, really good to "see" you.

Have a nice day!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB
    Reboot and try again
    I suspect this is what really corrected the problem. I've been using Foxit Reader for years and have had this problem a couple times before too. Typically, Foxit's update routine works perfectly but because the "default" pdf reader is set in several programs, including Windows itself and your browsers, what I think (okay, a total WAG ) is happening is these programs, or a service for one of them has a pdf setting locked or held open so the update (or uninstall of the old Foxit version) cannot complete. Rebooting after uninstalling clears those holds and allows the update/reinstall to complete without further problems.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Hi Digerati,

You know, I never thought to ask Steph off the bat of she had rebooted. Guess I assumed she had.. :blush:

Rebooting after uninstalling clears those holds and allows the update/reinstall to complete without further problems.
    Rebooting is required to clear what is left behind in memory, correct, for complete removal of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast