Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Printers not displayed in Devices and Printers

I evidently screwed something up and now Control Panel ‘Devices and Printers’ does not display a printer. I tried Add a Printer to no avail. When I use ‘Crtl P’, or ‘Ctrl Shift P’ to print a document, an old removed printer is shown as the Default printer along with the new printer that I installed. I can't change the Default Printer or remove the old printer. I cannot print even when I change the selected printer with 'Ctrl P'. Previously used these two options to print and they gave me options to delete a printer and change the Default printer. I am using Win 7.

How is the printer connected?

I suggest disconnect the printer, then go through Programs and Features and uninstall any printer software, then reboot and attempt to install the printer from scratch.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    How is the printer connected?

I suggest disconnect the printer, then go through Programs and Features and uninstall any printer software, then reboot and attempt to install the printer from scratch.

Default Printers not displayed in Devices and printers

I have connected the printer with both WiFi and USB cable.I have disconnected and reconnected the printer several times. I have completely removed the program with both Revo and Iobit Uninstaller several times. Both of these programs are superior to MS Remove Programs as they do a through search for registry entries and other files that MS Remove Programs leave on the computer. I have rebooted my computer several times.
    I did a thurough search with ‘everything.com’ and Ultra Search and found remaining remnents. After I removed the printer program I re-installed several times to no avail. This printer used to work fine. I have a second printer that is working OK with WiFi. It also doesn’t appear in ControlPanel/Devices and Printers. I can use that printer but I can’t change the default printer or remove my old disconnected printer that still appears when I use ‘Ctrl P’ to print ’. I used to be able to do this with the format that came up with ‘Ctrl/P or Ctrl/Shift P’. I no longer get that format and the one I get now does not have those options.

To clarify, Nothing appears in Control Panel/Devices and Printers. Normally it should display mouse, keyboard, monitor and any other devices in addition to my printers.
    82 and counting. Oldray
    Last edited by oldray; 04-30-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Clarification on display in Devices and printers

I have completely removed the program with both Revo and Iobit Uninstaller several times. Both of these programs are superior to MS Remove Programs as they do a through search for registry entries and other files that MS Remove Programs leave on the computer.
    I like Revo, but Iobit products don't have a good reputation for doing a good job, or for their ethics either. I would stick to Revo, but only if the regular uninstall program does not work. Understand those through the Control Panel are not written by MS, but by the program's installer.

I did a thurough search with ‘everything.com’ and Ultra Search and found remaining remnents.
    Which would suggest Revo and Iobit didn't work.

To clarify, Nothing appears in Control Panel/Devices and Printers. Normally it should display mouse, keyboard, monitor and any other devices in addition to my printers.
    That's definitely a problem.

From an "elevated command prompt" (type cmd in the start menu text box, right click on cmd.exe and select run as administrator) enter sfc /scannow (note the space before the /) and press enter and see what happens.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

I very much appreciate your help. I ran the sfc scannow and received the message ‘Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations’. My printer doesn’t print at all now.

The reason that I use Revo, which first runs the programmers installer, is because of the sometimes hundreds of left over items after the program installer’s program has been run.

This is important to me because of the way I use my computer. I am pretty much disabled. I am very weak and can‘t do much of anything. Therefore I sit at my computer most of the day. I don’t enjoy playing games so I subscribe to about six tech sites to explore free programs (especially Gizmo’s Freeware). The sites I visit have tested these programs for Virus’s and such. When I see an interesting program or utility I download it and try it out. If I don’t like it I remove it with Revo. If I only used the programmers uninstall my computer would soon become loaded with junk. As it is, I sometimes get to the point where I have to do a reformat and reload everything.

I have had no training on P.C.’s so I learn by trial and error (lots of error). I am 82 now and afraid of dementia so my struggles on my computer really challenge my brain and keep it active. Trying and failing on these programs is my sub for games. Believe it or not I started working with computers in 1966. I was responsible for printing all the telephone bills for western PA on a 4k IBM 1401 computer. I then graduated to programmer on an 8k computer. When Verizon terminated my position in 1989 I was a security and network manager on the largest computer in the Bell System. I loved what I was doing and if it weren’t for my interest in computers I don’t know what I would have done.

I have had programs that do not appear in Revo so I try IObit Uninstaller (IObit has become much more reliable over the years), where it sometimes appears. If not there I try CCleaner Remove or JV16 Power Tools after trying MS Remove Programs. I have had several programs like that that don’t appear in MS Remove Programs or Revo but I find it elsewhere. As a last resort I remove it from my Programs file, if Trustedinstaller doesn’t block me.

Sorry to take up so much of your time. I wanted to let you know why I ask for help often.

oldray

I understand the reason to run Revo. As I noted, I like it too. And while "some" IObit products may have improved, trust in their motives and ethics has not. Like many Chinese companies, they would rather steal technologies than develop it on their own. They Stole Malwarebytes Intellectual Property, Scamadvisor gives IObit.com Low Trust Rating, and Beware IObit Malware Fighter.

Do you have more than one computer there? Does the printer work with a different computer? Can you print a test page directly from the printer?

SFC not finding anything is actually a good thing at least from the computer side. How old is the printer?

This has nothing to do with you being 82, by the way. I am not that far behind you and started working with computers in the mid-70s in the USAF.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Thanks for serving our country. My tour was in Korea. Thanks for the info on IObit Malware Fighter. PCMag really dis’s it. I don’t k now how I got it because I try to only download programs that have been recommended by the tech letters I get.

I removed it with Revo and there were 32 programs files left after the programs uninstaller completed.. I also had it on my other computer so I Uninstalled it with IObit Uninstaller to see how it compared. to Revo. Surpprisely it found 10 registry entries and 62 program files after the programs own uninstall completed. I am going to try that with other programs to see what results I get.

About my print problem, I found that I had several copies of that printer listed when I selected ‘Cntl P’ because of the several times that I had installed the printers. Evidently the first one was bad because when I selected the (copy 1) it printed.. Thats takes care of my main problem since I can now print. However, the format/screen that I now get does not give me the option to delete invalid printer entries or change the default printer. And there are still no entries in thr Control Panel>Devices and Printers so I can’t change anything there. ‘Ctrl P’ lists a couple copies of both of my printers since I installed each one a couple of times and I would like to remove some.

My other computer still provides the Print screen with “Ctrl P’ that allows me to remove printers and change the default. Could that be because I switched to Chrome with this computer and I use IE11 on the other? Do you know how I can get the other back? The normal one just shows ‘Print’ on the tab but the one I get on this computer shows ‘Print’ to and the name of the printer selected.Thanks again.

Oldray

Thanks for serving our country. My tour was in Korea.
    Much appreciated and thank you for your service too. I was born in '52 so the Korean War was a bit before my time. I came in in '71. I just recently read there are still over 8,000 MIA in Korea.

Could that be because I switched to Chrome with this computer and I use IE11 on the other?
    I use IE11 as my default browser on all my systems and Ctrl-P works. So I called up Chrome Ctrl-P didn't work. But then I tried it again, and it did! ??? It is a totally different screen though. Ctrl P works in Firefox too.

Have you tried Ctrl P with Notepad or Word?

I note many problems with IE are due to misbehaving add-ons. You might try running without add-ons and see what happens. Press the “Windows key + R” key on the keyboard. In the Run window type “iexplore -extoff” without quotes and press Enter. This will start Internet Explorer in no add-ons mode.

More drastic, but often more effective is to reset IE (scroll down for instructions - you don't have to install Silverlight or view the video).

More drastic yet is to Uninstall then Reinstall IE. Install or uninstall Internet Explorer - Windows Help
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

My printer is working now. With all the problems I overlooked the first thing I should of checked. It was out of paper. I am getting the correct Print screen now and it looks like I can remove invalid printers but when I go back they are there again. I don’t always get the same screen with ‘Ctrl P’. That’s wierd. Anyway I still can’t delete printers. I guess it has something to do with nothing appearing in ‘Control Panel Devices and Printers’. It just printed something that I had requested several minutes ago.

I am familiar with IE reset. However, I can’t even get IE11 to open. See my other thread “IE 11 Won’t open’. Donna is trying to help me with that problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast