Exclamation DrMOS / MOSFET issue

Hey All -

I am running an MSI Big Bang X-Power II motherboard. For the past couple days, I have received a DrMOS Warning which pops up in the missle of my screen and wont let me move or close it (upon closing it just pops up again. It warns me that the MOSFET may be overheated and, if the temperature continues to rise, it will automatically shut down my system to prevent damage.

The problem is this - the MOSFET isn't overheating. Any ideas why this is happening and how I get it to stop? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi therafescv,

Welcome to Help2Go!

There's a possibility that your VRMs are overheating. You might get something like an Antec SpotCool and point it at your VRMs to keep them cool. Otherwise, make sure your case fans are arranged to create a good airflow through your case, e.g. front intake, rear exhaust.

This really is not my area of expertise. Let's see if one of the other members has any ideas.

Thank you,
    Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

The problem is this - the MOSFET isn't overheating.
    How do you know that? I don't know of any motherboard that has a temperature sensor on the MOSFETs. And I don't see in your motherboard manual where it indicates there is one, other than an LED on the motherboard. And what monitoring program is generating the warning? Does it provide the temperature?

Are you overclocking? If so, stop! At least until this is resolved. Note that increasing the PWM working speed WILL increase the temperature of the MOSFET. Therefore adequate case cooling is ESSENTIAL before attempting this.

I agree with Donna and advise you look at your case cooling as it is the case's responsibility to provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. Is the case interior clean of heat trapping dust? Are all vents and filters (if any) clean? Does the case support larger or more fans. If not, consider getting a different case.

Does blasting a desk fan into the open side of the case clear the error?

Note too that some aftermarket coolers rob components surrounding the CPU socket of expected air flow compared to the expected OEM cooler.

Hmmm, just had a look at your manual and I have to say I am not impressed with the documentation on the DrMOS II feature. Does the DrMOS_Alarm LED on the motherboard light when this warning appears?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Digerati -

Thanks for the reply. I'm testing the heat 2 ways:

First, I got in there and felt it, it doesn't feel as though it is overheating.

Second, I downloaded HW Monitor (HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID) and it is showing the temp around 50-54.

I am not overclocking and I think I'm getting plenty of airflow. I have had this setup for a little over 2 years and the MOSFET warning had only showed up within the past week or so.

When I was in there, I did do some dusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    Hmmm, just had a look at your manual and I have to say I am not impressed with the documentation on the DrMOS II feature. Does the DrMOS_Alarm LED on the motherboard light when this warning appears?
    Yeah, I agree. No the LED hasn't been lighting up.

Thanks again.

Testing with your finger is not very conclusive or that telling.

I doubt HWMonitor is looking at the MOSFET. Sadly, there is no definitive explanation for the TMPIN0, TMPIN1, and TMPIN2 - assuming that is what you are looking at. That is because there is no industry standards. They are most likely the CPU socket, Chipset and Northbridge - not MOSFET.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────