Default IE 11 won't open

Internet Explorer 11 wonít open. I had previously been using IE11 but I lost it. I have downloaded it from the Microsoft Download site and I can see it in my Programs folder but it wonít open. When I try to download it again I get a message that Setup canít continue because a more recent version is installed on my computer. I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

Hi oldray,

What do you mean by you lost it?

Internet Explorer is integrated into the Windows Operating System and can not just disappear unless you uninstall it through Windows Update. If you do that, it should revert back to Internet Explorer 10.

How did you open IE11 before this happened? Did you have the icon somewhere on the desktop or in the notification tray at the bottom of the screen?

The reason you got that message about a more recent version is installed on my computer is because IE11 is still installed.

Click on your Start > All Programs. Look in the list to see if you can find the Internet Explorer (IE) icon and click on it. Let me know what happens.

The more you tell me about what you see and what happened, the better I will be able to assist you.

Thank you,
    Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 05-02-2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added info.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks for responding Donna.
    I lost IE11 when a rip-off computer repair company took over my computer. I just hope that I have removed all of the Virus and Trojans from my computer. After several days of cleaning up my computer the only IE I could get was IE8. Now I can’t get either. Prior to this catastrophe I had no trouble with IE11. I had an Icon for IE11on my desktop and in the Task bar. It was also in Start>Programs.
    My present Programs folder lists both IE8 and IE11. When I select IE11 nothing happens. I have removed and reinstalled IE11 several times with the same result. Even when I got the option to update to IE11 when I had IE 8 open, it never worked. IE does not appear in Start>All programs.
    When I try to open IE11 by clicking on ieinstal.com in the Download folder, nothing happens. When I attempt to open IE8 by selecting iexplore.com in my Download folder I get the message Internet Explorer has stopped working. As I said, I have downloaded both IE programs several times after removing them completely with Revo and IObit Remove programs. Neither of the IE programs even appear in MS Remove Programs.
    oldray

Hi oldray,

You're welcome!

As I said, I have downloaded both IE programs several times after removing them completely with Revo and IObit Remove programs.
    That's not a good sign oldray. As I pointed out above, Internet Explorer is integrated into the Windows Operating System and should not be uninstalled even if you use another browser. By using Revo and IObit removal programs you wiped it out of the registry causing severe registry damage.

Let's see if we can find it in Windows Updates:

Click on your Start > Control Panel > Windows Updates and click on Installed Updates in the lower left corner under See also. Once the list populates, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section and search for which version of Windows Internet Explorer is displayed in the list.

To make the search of Internet Explorer in Windows Updates you could also type Internet Explorer into the search field at the top right of the Windows Updates window. If IE is installed, it should be found.

If it is not found, I fear you have severe registry corruption and the only thing you can do is to restore your computer back to factory condition.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Donna Sorry to take so long getting back to this. I was away. In addition to this problem I also had a post that no devices appeared in "Devices and Printers. I couldn't set the default printer and I couldn't delete a non existent printer. Then my problems grew and I could't open any links. That was too much so I took it to a computer geek. He used a Win 7 repair disk and reinstalled Windows 7. That took care of all my problems. Thank you so much for your help.

oldray

Time is not a problem oldray. I am just happy that you got this sorted out. Thank you for letting me know.

Donna