Default I want to change the password on linksys E2000 guest account

I would like to change the password on my wireless Cisco guest account without reinstalling it all. I am not sure I can reinstall it, I needed help when I set it up the first time and it is no longer under warranty.

I found instructions using Cisco connect, but can't find it on my PC. I did reformat, that is probably why it is missing. The system worked without reinstalling it after reformatting. My router is a Linksys E2000 V 1. I still have the installation Cd if that would help. any suggestions.

You don't do this on your computer. You need to log into the router's internal admin menu and change it there. You typically do this by entering the router's IP address in your browser's address bar, then you should see the router's login screen. You enter the router's user name and password, then you can change the guest password. If you don't know the router's user name and password, we cannot help you by-pass them because we have no way of verifying your identity. But this should be in your router manual.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Thank you very much. I write all passwords down and keep it with the purchase info. I don't know about the IP address but that tells me what I need to look for. You can trust me I have the magic password.............Joe sent me. LOL
    Last edited by Vala; 05-08-2015 at 09:46 AM.

You can trust me
    That's typically the first words out of a badguy's mouth!

You can find the IP by opening a cmd prompt and entering: ipconfig and pressing enter. The router's IP will shown as the "Default Gateway". It may need to be an Elevated Command Prompt.

I write all passwords down and keep it with the purchase info
    Bad idea! Passwords should never - as in NEVER EVER be written down. The one exception is if the paper is then locked up in your bank's safe deposit box. You should use a decent password manager like RoboForm or
    LastPass. With a good password manager, you set a good strong password for the PW manager and that is the only password you have to remember.

Sadly, people don't think about "Physical Security" but it is just as important as having a good anti-malware solution and keeping our computers fully updated. If a badguy breaks into your home and steals your computer, he "WILL" quickly look around the immediate area of your computer for written down passwords. And if you have all your passwords to you bank accounts, credit cards, etc. on that list too, you will be suffering a whole lot more than just a lost computer and a sense of vulnerability in your own home.

Get a password manager now and create a strong password (letters, numbers and special characters at least 8 characters long - NOT your dog's name!) and enter all your passwords into it. Then shred or burn that list.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

D and your type are the very reason I quit every forum on the internet. I am not stupid, but I have to use the same password everywhere or write them down. I am older than dirt and can't remember every password I need.

Sorry Joe your recommendation to come here just went down the toilet. I will email Cat for help.

Wow. You come seeking good, sound, and FREE advice from volunteers only to kick them in the mouth when it is something you don't want to hear? I am sorry you feel that way. I was only trying to protect you from badguys. I'm no spring chicken either and that's exactly why I use a password manager. AS I SAID, with a password manager, you only have to remember 1 password. That's it!

I have to say, ungrateful posters is the biggest downside to volunteering our spare time on these forums.

Good luck with your problem.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────