Default Application requires Windows Installer to Run

Hi,
    We have Microsoft Office 2000 running on my husbands laptop (windows7). It has worked fine for the past 4 years for our limited needs of it. My husband tried to open one of his documents recently and had this problem:

Office 2000 opens with blank page and the splash screen. After approx 5 minutes the error window appears with 'There was a problem sending the command to the program'. Icon minimises to task bar. When clicked another error window appears with 'This application requires windows installer to run'.

Tried to uninstall the program but had the windows installer message appear and it wouldn't let me uninstall. I read somewhere yesterday to try and reinstall the program. Tried that - got the error message about windows installer but it did say that it was updating it. After it completed that step it said to reboot laptop which we did but still had the same problem.

Then I had a brainwave to go with the latest and greatest Microsoft Office and tried to install the free month on the laptop. Downloaded the setup.exe file. Clicked this setup.exe - then clicked to 'RUN' it. Got the window that said 'allow changes' clicked yes. And nothing happened. No error messages. Nothing! Tried to get help from their support but they were not able to help me.

So, here I am back with Help2go who have always been my saving grace in the past so hope you can help me now.
    Thanks in advance

Hello,

Lets have a better look at things

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
    • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from
    • Please copy and paste log back here.
    • The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply

Thanks Zep516. Microsoft remotely reinstalled my OS so everything appears to be working correctly now....until the next time. They were in the middle of doing that when I received your message. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.