Default How to resize C: and D: drives on windows Vista

Hello and thank you in advance for your valuable help!

I've been researching how to increase C drive size (it's current size is 50 GB, 9.31 GB free and keeps on going down, even though I am not installing anything and after uninstalling all unused programs and moving all misc files like documents and pictures to D: ... D drive current size is 236 GB, with 213 GB free). The more I find the more it seems complicated and risky. It seems any resizing or partitions modifications could mess up the computer. I am backing up all files from D: but I am not sure how to back up program files and software from C, I would think, since they are programs, is not just matter of copying and pasting to my external hard drive.

I have also found that, apparently, the tool to do this does not work good: "The reason why you canít just shrink a Windows Vista partition is largely due to the existence of files that canít be moved through conventional means (or even standard defragmentation) such as the Master File Table, Pagefiles and Hibernation data."

Could you please let me know if there is a safe way to do this modification without damaging my computer? I was hoping I could do it without having to buy software, that is something I have also found recommended (they actually recommend getting a free trial and then uninstall it but, I would like to avoid this altogether.

Again, thanks a lot for your help and have a wonderful day!

Martha

I have used EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition many times with no problems. That said, any time you mess with the partitions, there is a chance of catastrophic problems. An untimely disk failure or power outage would ruin your day. So making a backup of you data onto an external drive is still a good idea.

As far as your C drive filling up, that is common as new Windows Updates and data files are added. I do recommend running Windows Disk Cleanup to help with that.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Thank you Digerati!

I backed up all D: drive already, used an external hard drive. I found this article about how to back up the whole computer: How to Back Up Your Computer in Windows Vista: 13 Steps
    I just want to make sure the system files and programs are going to work fine when I install them back, I feel nervous about it since I don't have experience doing this and I don't want to mess the thing up
    Thank you again for your reply!

A lot of people like Acronis True Image for making backups. I note EASEUS has EaseUS Todo Backup too.

You are right to be nervous, but it seems you have taken the necessary precautions. I can only recommend now you give your C drive enough space so you are not doing this again and again.
    Last edited by Digerati; 05-15-2015 at 12:22 PM.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

LOL! You are very right! I was planning to move all space possible from D: to C: , in case it can not be all and just get rid of D: completely..

Thank you!