Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Screen resized itself with black borders??

Help! I have no idea what I've done but I must have clicked or dragged something that I shouldn't have because suddenly, instead of filling the PC monitor screen as normal, the picture (browser window and also desktop picture) suddenly resized itself and although the open window is set to maximum (as per the options next to the red cross top right hand corner of screen), even so it's now actually smaller than the full screen with a very wide black border on the left and right hand side of the screen. Whatever I try I cannot get the desktop picture or browser window back to fully fill the screen as before.

The monitor is an Edge 10 ES240d. Resolution is the same as it's always been at the recommended 1920 x 1080. Right clicking on the desktop then Personalize>Desktop Background>Picture Position is set to Fill - except it doesn't fill the screen at all any more. I've tried resetting the desktop picture but it's made no difference (in any event, it's not just the desktop picture that isn't filling the screen anymore, it's also the browser window).

Right clicking on the desktop >Graphics Properties>then choosing Advanced Mode shows the scaling set as "Maintain Display Scaling". Choosing "Customise Aspect Ratio" shows that both horizontal and vertical scaling are set at 100.

I've restarted several times and also tried System Restore to three days ago but no luck.

It's driving me mad as it's so uncomfortable to look at - any assistance gratefully received as I've been unable to find a solution online.

Thank you.

Steph
    Last edited by Steph; 05-16-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

I'd try reinstalling the display driver from device manager.
    To do that:

Click start, control panel, device manager. In the device manager window look for Display Adapters, to the left of display adapters click the arrow to expand the list, find the adapter right click on it and choose uninstall then reboot the computer.

Let us know

Hi zep, thanks for replying

I followed your instructions but the only adaptor listed under Display Adaptors is Intel HD Graphics. Right clicking on that only shows Properties and when I open that there is no uninstall option. (If I uninstalled it though, where do I find it to reinstall it again?)

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

odd,

When you right click on it it should or usually shows these listings like mine does.
    1 up-Date driver software
    2 disable
    3 uninstall
    4 scan for hardware changes
    5 properties

I don't know why your device manager does not. Usually you choose "uninstall" reboot and windows re-installs the driver software.

Perhaps we need to go to the manufactures site of the laptop and download the driver from there.

What is the make and model of the computer ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Hi zep, it's a PC running W7. I had it built to spec so no make of which I'm aware.

The graphics card is Intel HD, as I said. The monitor is an Edge 10 ES240d (24" monitor) which has an aspect ratio of 16:9 according to Edge 10's website. The monitors are plug and play and they say the drivers don't need updating. I'm wondering if it's the aspect ratio that's changed somehow but as I said in my previous post, when I looked at the aspect ratio in Graphics Properties, both horizontal and vertical are set at 100. Changing either of those to a lower figure simply reduces the size of the window accordingly and I couldn't see it expressed anywhere as an actual ratio.

Is this where the problem lies, in graphics? I'm really stumped because as far as I can see, resolution and aspect ratio are still set as they have always been. I was moving the mouse when it happened so I obviously inadvertently clicked on something or pressed something - but what ..?

Just to clarify, the window fits the screen properly top to bottom, it's the width that's changed, leaving a wide black border on the right and left hand sides. Right clicking on the desktop and then on Screen Resolution shows the orientation set at Landscape, only at the moment it's not showing as landscape as the desktop and windows are square!

Over to you ...

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Black borders on side of screen.

When it's built like that we need the motherboard make and model.
    To get that

Click Start
    Open All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and click System Information. Under system information what does it say for:
    1 System manufacture
    2 System model

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Zep, I've sorted it! I found an online manual for the monitor and discovered that underneath the front edge (flush and very well hidden) is a 4:3 or Wide Image Ratio hot key. As my new image was showing in 4:3 ratio (nearly square) it looks as if I may have caught it when I pushed something out of the way under the monitor and changed the ratio that way because when I pressed it, it returned to full 16:9 size - so now all back to normal, phew! You learn something new every day, I had no idea those keys were even there! And as this desk looks like a bomb's hit it I think I better tidy it in order to avoid any more mishaps. What a way to spend a Saturday evening ...

Thank you so much for coming to my help again, you're a knight in shining armour. It may have been a simple fix in the end but following your instructions I learned about stuff I didn't know about before and following your last post I discovered where to find the information about my system, which I also didn't know about before - in fact, come to think of it, I seem to live in a general fog of not knowing! Mind you, under System Manufacturer it says "System Manufacturer" and under System Model it says "System Product Name" which wouldn't have been very helpful if we'd needed it!

Thanks for coming to my help again Joe, your help is always really appreciated and I'm sorry I took up your time with what turned out to be a bit of cack handedness on my part

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

It's the best day, when the user comes back and says they sorted it

You're welcome !

Joe

I found an online manual for the monitor and discovered that underneath the front edge (flush and very well hidden) is a 4:3 or Wide Image Ratio hot key.
    I don't think I have ever seen a monitor with a physical switch for that. I have seen OSD menus with the option, but not a manual button. I think I might have pulled out clumps of hair with that one. Amazing what RTFM can do for you!

The monitors are plug and play and they say the drivers don't need updating.
    FTR, no monitor "needs" drivers. This is because operating systems don't communicate directly with monitors. The OS tells the graphics solution (card or integrated) what to do, and the card tells the monitor how to do it.

You will often find "drivers" for monitors, but they are not really drivers at all. What they do is simply inform Windows System Information of the brand name and model number of the monitor, and the supported resolutions so the unsupported resolutions will be grayed out in your display options so you don't accidently select an unsupported resolution (though you can tell Windows to show all resolutions).
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Hi Digerati

That hot button is a weird one, isn't it - and I did pull out many clumps of hair because none of the settings had been changed so I couldn't see what to adjust! It wasn't just reading the manual though, I had no idea what the ratios meant so spent time I'll never get back learning about that from you-tube - on the other hand, I learnt stuff I didn't know about before so not all bad!

FTR, no monitor "needs" drivers. This is because operating systems don't communicate directly with monitors. The OS tells the graphics solution (card or integrated) what to do, and the card tells the monitor how to do it.
    Thanks for that info, I didn't realise there was no actual "driver". It would be helpful if the monitor manufacturers didn't refer to them as such though, even if they say they don't need upgrading.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast