Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default accidentally deleted pics from disk camera

Hi, Once again, I accidentally deleted all pics from my Sony Cybershot camera. The last time I did it I just connected the camera to my computer and was able to download the pics to my computer because they were still on the memory stick. This time I tried it and nothing happened. It just says on the back of the camera USB Mode Mass Storage ... Memory Stick. When I first was able to do it, I had a different hard drive. Is that part of the problem? Am I doing something incorrectly. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi rjay81,

The difference in hard drives should make no difference.

Sony Cybershots have internal storage as well as having the ability to insert an SD card for external storage to save pictures to. It sounds like the last time that you did this, the pictures may have been saved to the internal memory on the camera so when you inserted the camera into the computer the pictures were found on the camera internal memory not the SD Card.

I am not sure, but I don't think you would be able to connect the camera to your computer to access the SD Card itself. I think you would have to remove the SD Card and insert that into your computer. Does your computer have a slot for an SD Card anywhere?

Is there an SD Card inserted into the camera? You should find it in the battery compartment.

So I have a better idea of what we are working with here, what is the model number for the camera. Also, what is the make and model of the computer so I can find the specs to see if it came with a slot to insert SD cards.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    .........I am not sure, but I don't think you would be able to connect the camera to your computer to access the SD Card itself. I think you would have to remove the SD Card and insert that into your computer. Does your computer have a slot for an SD Card anywhere? Is there an SD Card inserted into the camera? You should find it in the battery compartment. So I have a better idea of what we are working with here, what is the model number for the camera. Also, what is the make and model of the computer so I can find the specs to see if it came with a slot to insert SD cards.
    Thank you for your reply. The camera is a Model DSC- W230. Unfortunately, the computer hard drive is an older model which I am trying to get by on until I can save up for a new one. My last hard drive just suddenly stopped one day. The model is a Cicero ( never heard of it) and it doesn't have anywhere, front or back, where something remotely like an SD card or memory stick can be inserted. Is there anything like some kind of an adapter that would plug in the back and accept an SD card?

The memory card is beside the battery in the camera and it's removable. Don't know what to do at this
    point.

Hm? I had never heard of a Cicero hard drive till now myself. Found a thread about them HERE.

Unfortunately, the computer hard drive is an older model which I am trying to get by on until I can save up for a new one. My last hard drive just suddenly stopped one day. The model is a Cicero ( never heard of it) and it doesn't have anywhere, front or back, where something remotely like an SD card or memory stick can be inserted.
    The Cicero hard drive that you speak of, is that an external or an internal that you replaced the computer hard drive with that stopped? I am kind of confused here.

Here's what I was thinking you might be able to do........

If there was an SD card reader slot on the computer, you could insert the SD card into the card reader slot then download the free version of Recuva onto your computer. You would then be able to access the SD Card to see if there were any pictures on the SD card that could be recovered.

If your computer has a USB port, you could purchase an SD Card reader for fairly cheap. Here's what I found at WalMart.

You might even be able to connect the camera to the computer, download Recuva and see if the pictures are still recoverable unless of course the pictures that were lost were on the SD card and not in the cameras internal memory.

Some other ideas...

Do you have a friend that has a laptop you could borrow that has an SD card reader on it? If so, you could use that to insert the SD card into, then download Recuva to see if there are any pictures that could be saved. Then you could transfer them to your external hard drive from there.

Whatever you do, don't take anymore pictures with that camera or SD card till you are sure the ones you lost are gone for good. Every time you take more pictures, the previous ones will be written over and they will be gone for good!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

The Cicero hard drive that you speak of, is that an external or an internal that you replaced the computer hard drive with that stopped? I am kind of confused here. Here's what I was thinking you might be able to do........If there was an SD card reader slot on the computer, you could insert the SD card into the card reader slot then download the free version of Recuva onto your computer. You would then be able to access the SD Card to see if there were any pictures on the SD card that could be recovered.

If your computer has a USB port, you could purchase an SD Card reader for fairly cheap. Here's what I found at WalMart. You might even be able to connect the camera to the computer, download Recuva and see if the pictures are still recoverable unless of course the pictures that were lost were on the SD card and not in the cameras internal memory.

Thank you. The Cicero hard drive replaced my Compaq Presario hard drive( the whole thing, not just the internal works) that had ports front and back. I found a place in the front that would accept a card reader and inserted the SD card into the card reader. The pictures came up in random order and for higher numbers it said no preview was available so I can't see if those were today and yesterday's pictures that were taken. Oddly, pictures that were taken 6 months ago came up immediately, but not the most recent ones. I am wondering where I should recover them to. I don't even know if this is possible but is it possible to download them to my computer then pull them off my computer onto an external portable hard drive then take that hard drive to a place that has a digital printing system and insert that hard drive into one of the ports and it will show my pictures that I can then print off? If not, is there any other method I can use to transfer them to something portable that I can get photos printed off from?

rjay81. Here in the United States you can take your SD Card to your local Walgreens and have them printed right off the SD Card! No need for all that transferring. Where ever you are located, just look for a store that has a photoshop. I am sure they could do that for you. They may even be able to find the pictures that were lost. Take your camera with you and have them check the internal memory as well. They should be able to locate all the pictures in memory and print what you want or even put on a disc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

rjay81. Here in the United States you can take your SD Card to your local Walgreens and have them printed right off the SD Card! No need for all that transferring. Where ever you are located, just look for a store that has a photoshop. I am sure they could do that for you. They may even be able to find the pictures that were lost. Take your camera with you and have them check the internal memory as well. They should be able to locate all the pictures in memory and print what you want or even put on a disc.
    When I brought the SD card to a photoshop the first time, all pictures had been deleted except the 50 taken by the first owner of the camera. I brought the SD card to a store that has a machine that prints off pics from digital camera today, and there was nothing on it except the same 50 pictures taken by the first owner of the camera. Each time they never showed up on my camera's inventory of pictures but showed up when the SD card was brought to a photoshop. Right now, at the photoshop, that's all the SD card says I have, however, when I used Recuva, a lot of the (thought deleted) pics showed up, except today's and yesterday's pictures which, I'm hoping are in the higher numbered pictures labeled " no preview available". I guess I won't know what they are until I print them off. That's why I'm wondering what I should recover those pictures to on my computer and if there's an external hard drive that will download them to it and then I can take that back to the same photo printing machine. Have never done it that way before, so I don't even know if that's possible.

Hm? Ok....

What operating system is installed on the computer?

In windows vista and above do the following:

Click on Start > Control Panel > Folder Options

Next:

Click on View tab and under Advanced settings > Files and Folders, scroll down and look for Show Preview handlers in Preview Pane. Make sure there is a checkmark to the left.

Click Apply > OK

Now insert the SD card as you did before and see if those previously pictures with higher numbers are now viewable. Keep me informed to those results..

As for transferring those pictures that were found by Recuva, you can move those to the desktop of your computer then move them to an external hard drive. The photoshop should have the capability to access the hard drive.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hm? Ok....What operating system is installed on the computer?
    In windows vista and above do the following:Click on Start > Control Panel > Folder Options
    Next:Click on View tab and under Advanced settings > Files and Folders, scroll down and look for Show Preview handlers in Preview Pane. Make sure there is a checkmark to the left. Click Apply > OKNow insert the SD card as you did before and see if those previously pictures with higher numbers are now viewable. Keep me informed to those results..As for transferring those pictures that were found by Recuva, you can move those to the desktop of your computer then move them to an external hard drive. The photoshop should have the capability to access the hard drive.
    I have Windows XP with Service Pack 3. I got as far as "look for "Show Preview handlers in Preview Pane" and there is nothing in the list that says anything like that. Do I just store the recovered pics on Desktop when it asks where I want to recover them to? Can I then put them on a USB Flash Drive and bring that to a photoshop?

Ok. Windows XP is a bit different than Vista and above. I'll have to look around and see what I can find about that "No Preview available" fix on Windows XP. With the Memorial Day Holiday tomorrow, my next response may be a bit delayed..

In the meantime, go ahead and have the pics saved to the desktop and put them on the USB flash drive. For funnsies, you might even want to try to open them once you get them to the desktop and see what happens.

You mentioned that there were several pics from the previous owner on the camera. If you want, try to right click on them and choose delete. If you insert the SD Card into the computer you could open it up there and delete the ones you want to delete.

What you probably should have done when you got the used camera was delete all the previous owner pics so only yours would be on there. I am surprised that the previous owner actually sold/gave the camera away with pictures still in memory.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast