Default Am I doing something wrong? Hard Disk and Hard Head?

I understand the personal issues that draw people away from helping on these forums. I understand that there might not be a lot of staff available to help on any particular forum. And I also understand that I have problems communicating my thoughts to others, though often times those others take this problem as being rude and impatient, even though I have taken the time to explain this communication problem beforehand.

I have just spent five wasted days waiting on a reply for help at a forum that I was referred to by this forum. I have seen dozens of posts replied to, while mine sits waiting for a reply for five days. I see this as absolutely ridiculous. They are so ridiculously slow to answer posts that they have created a thread for those who are not getting an answer to a post. This thread has over 14 pages of posts from people who are wondering why no one has ever replied to there request for help. Some have been waiting for over a month.

There is no excuse for anyone waiting for over a month for an answer. Not even death is an excuse for that! Someone should step in and at least leave a response that says, "We are sorry to inform you that we cannot find an answer, we cannot understand your request, we hate your guts, our server is having problems, all our parents were killed in a plane crash last week......" ANYTHING would be acceptable!

Now, if someone can explain to me if there is something I am doing that is the cause for not getting any responses from 4 completely unassociated forums in the past 3 days, then I can get to the issue that has been asked in this forum and has yet to be answered.(actually there are a couple questions)

Can I, and should I, install a new Hard Disk to this laptop and use the backup and system image, from the old Disk, created on an external Hard Disk, since I am unable to find the Windows 7 installation disk for this laptop?

Here's what I would do in your case, since the dell diagnostics failed the slow test, I'd replace the drive and purchase a new Windows 7 disc and reinstall, that solves all problems. Using a system image in this case could restore corrupted files back on the new disc.

Also it does appear over the course of ownership Laptops usually go in for major repair at least twice.
    Last edited by zep516; 06-15-2015 at 09:03 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

I agree with Joe (zep) and his technical advice.

As to your other concerns, I think it is important to remember that these forums are supported by unpaid volunteers who donate their free time helping others. While it would be ideal for every question to be answered promptly, that is just not possible with different time zones (some on the opposite side of the world), weekends, illnesses, work and family commitments, holidays etc. Not to mention, a limited number of experts with experience in these problems. I suspect if you look at your threads where no one replied, there were many views, just no replies suggesting the readers didn't have an answer for you. But the fact they looked suggests they would have offered help, if they felt they had some experience or knowledge in that area to draw upon to offer any help.

No doubt no replies is frustrating, but not sure bunches of viewers unable to offer any help submitting a post just to say, "Hi - I can't help you" would be any less frustrating.

Yes, it would be nice if someone came around to police these the forums looking for unanswered questions - but again, that would take volunteers donating their own time and I know for me personally as a forum helper, I would rather spend my free time with folks I thought I could actually help. And I do agree that waiting a month with no answer is clearly bad. In their defense, some of these sites are swamped with help requests and it does not take but a couple days for unanswered threads to be pushed off the page and out of site (then out of mind). That's no excuse, just an explanation - and symptom of a lack of volunteers who are willing to give up a significant portion of their free time.

I can't speak for the other sites but I note here at H2G your other post is 12 pages long (and that's a lot!) and DonnaB responded with her first reply in less than 30 minutes. Yes, it took too long for a response over at Sysnative (though some of that was over a weekend. But a Mod did eventually reply (note that thread has 179 views!) so there were many willing, just not able.

I help out there too - but SFC is not one of my areas of expertise either! They are looking for more SFC, BSOD, DPC Latency issue volunteers.

Anyway, I am sorry you ran into so many frustrating issues with your computer. And without a viable backup of your drive from before your problems arose, you likely have more to come. But I think it important to remember when seeking free help, it is rarely under the terms any of us (posters and helpers alike) would like. Especially when as helpers, we don't have these computers sitting in front of us so we can touch, see and feel for ourselves, exactly what is happening.

The lesson here is make regular viable backups when your system is running right. Don't wait until problems develop. Of course we all know hindsight is 20/20 and it makes it even more frustrating when someone reminds us of that. Sorry about that too.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Joe, thanks for your help! Your advise has been very useful. Part of the reason I am having difficulty finding the Windows 7 disk is that my girlfriend's son has moved into my "office", the second bedroom, and things have been moved around, covered up, and so on. The room looks more like a garbage dump most of the time. He is a wonderful kid, so I have no problem with him keeping it this way. His well-being is so much more important than how neat the room is, that the mess doesn't matter to me. I plan on doing a more extensive search for the disk, buy a new hard drive, and install Windows from the disk I have. But this can't happen until I start working again. I haven't worked in a month. My work is strange that way. And this explains why I just can't go out an buy a new Windows disk also. Many problems going on here at one time. You haven't heard 1/10th of the problems that I am dealing with now.

Digerati, thank you for your wonderfully detailed response here! I appreciate your point of view. My original post here is my way of explaining that all those issues that you refer to have been considered before the worry about no response began. I always take in all considerations before bringing in an issue. And this is part of the reason I have no problem in waiting for an answer in this forum.

This forum is on the top of my list for quality assistance. I have no problems with the way I have received help here. The Sysnative forum is a completely different story. The fact that they have taken the time to start a thread for those people who are not getting any replies to their help requests completely invalidates any excuse for ZERO replies. If they can take the time to create THAT thread and also go to THAT thread and give those people a response, there is absolutely no excuse for leaving any thread unanswered. I have to disagree with Digerati's statement that a "Hi-I can't help you" reply would be any less frustrating. This simple reply eliminates the notion of the thread being ignored, unseen, discarded, etc. And in my case, having wondered if conflicts with my computer or my struggle with communicating my thoughts might have something to do with the ZERO response, that simple reply by an experienced helper would have eliminated this question entirely.

I question my computer's involvement and my communication issue in the problem with getting no responses. Other issues involving screen name and password saving, as well as keeping logged in to a website, are also part of my consideration in what is going on. But I see that a new HD will fix all of this. So I see this as a "fixed" issue. Quotes meaning its not replaced yet, but will be!

Thanks for all your help!

Darryl

Hello,

For what it's worth this web site has always logged me out even after a short time, I do believe there may be a setting within the site that says "Keep me logged in" I have not looked for it but will soon..

Yes, Joe. Thank you for verifying my communication problem. There's a "Remember Me" check box under the login boxes. But checking that box does not always bring up my screen name or password, which is what that option does. On other sites, there is a "Keep me logged in" check box in that same location. This feature has not been working for me either. My intention in making the statement was to indicate that these features are not working for me and might indicate that there are other issues, besides a corrupt HD cluster, that is causing my many, seemingly unrelated issues. To me, that statement shows that I know that there is something causing those options to NOT function. But then again, my mind has a clear advantage over yours because I already know what is happening. It is my responsibility to get your mind caught up with mine, in that respect. And that is the communication problem that I am speaking of.