Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Computer issues not related to computer!

I am now on my girlfriend's laptop, because mine is running Netflix on the TV. I went to Ramcharger Central to see if anyone had responded to my truck problem that I am having. There was a lot of lag in the text when entering my logon info. When I tried to login on that site I lost my internet connection. I looked up at the TV that is connected to MY computer and the video is buffering. My computer had also lost the internet connection. It happened the exact second I entered my password for Ramcharger Central forum. I cannot consider that a coincidence. I also noticed that my girlfriends laptop is having many of the same issues that mine does. Is that another coincidence? Or does it mean that those issues are not caused by a faulty Hard Drive on MY laptop? It took her desktop about 2 minutes to load, showing no network connection the entire time. A clean computer should load the desktop completely in about 3 seconds. Or at least mine did when Donna first helped me clean it up.

My question is: Why did a cmd window flash up on this screen when I logged into THIS forum?

Looks like there is something going on with the network? Something is doing a number on both computers.

Has someone hacked my network? This has happened before because she had someone send her an email with a picture of her sitting in front of her laptop, taken from her webcam, right after we moved to this location.

Darryl
    Last edited by mrick36; 06-16-2015 at 09:41 AM.

A clean computer should load the desktop completely in about 3 seconds.
    There are way too many variable to make a blanket statement like that.

This does appear to be network related.

Has someone hacked my network? This has happened before because she had someone send her an email with a picture of her sitting in front of her laptop, taken from her webcam, right after we moved to this location.
    Did she call the police? I would have.

Who's network?

Have you changed the default passphrases?

Have you scanned for malware?

Are your computers fully updated?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

I always seem to leave something out, so here's a more in-depth synopsis.

We have AT&T Uverse. In order to access the internet on any of the computers in my apartment, you have to be connected to the Uverse network(Wi-Fi) set up at my home. Each computer has to go through the Uverse portal, wirelessly, in order to reach outside to the internet. So it only makes since that another computer outside my home would have to enter through that same Uverse portal in order to reach inside and access any of our computers. The only other way an outside computer could access my computer is if they were close enough to pick up on our homegroup connection that each computer is networked with, which is separate from the Uverse network portal. But only selected files on those computers could be accessed. My girlfriend's laptop is not connected to our homegroup network. She doesn't use her laptop enough to even have any interest in it. So, it is only my laptop and my desktop. And my desktop doesn't seem to have the same issues as my laptop or hers. Though, I rarely use it because my "step-son" has taken over the bedroom that once was my office. And he has no interest in my computer, or any other computer for that matter!

Girlfriend says her laptop is probably not fully updated. She doesn't even turn it on most days. My laptop is updated fully, as far as I know. I... may not be updated!!!

DonnaB and Joe(Zep516) have extensively worked out the malware on this site, on my laptop. It was running 150% when she finished a short while ago. When we finished working on this computer, I was amazed at how fast Windows would load, and the internet connection would show before the screen lit up. But after a few days, I have to wait 5-10 seconds, after the desktop loads, before the task bar icon shows I have an internet connection. And that's really not much of a wait! I can deal with that. When it was "clean", startup was as fast as the Google Chrome commercials that showed there browser opening with lightning speed. Chrome has never opened for me like that!

Here is a list of reasons that make me believe that I am correct(the first is unquestionable proof that it has happened before):

1) One evening, only a few days after we moved into this apartment, my girlfriend received an email that was created to look like it came from a government entity(FBI or CIA). I don't remember exactly what it said, but it said something about her being under investigation. There was a dark picture posted in the body of this email. After looking at it closely, we realized that it was a picture of her taken from the webcam on her laptop while she was using it. The picture was dark because we had been sitting in our living room with very few lights on. The tv may have been on. The tv and the kitchen light are enough for us to do what we need on our laptops.

2) A few nights ago, we were watching a series on Netflix on our bedroom tv, through my laptop. I decided to check the forums I had been posting on to see if I had received any recent replies. So, I go get my girlfriends laptop and use it to check the forums, while we continue watching the show on my laptop. I turned on her laptop and noticed that it was very slow in loading windows and identifying our network on the desktop icon, which is one of the issues that my laptop has. I first went to RamchargerCentral, for replies about my truck's issues. When I begin to type in my screen name to RamchargerCentral, I found that there was an extremely irritating lag in the text function. I could type in several letters and have to wait 5 seconds or so before the letters were placed in the text box. And not every keystroke was being recognized by the text editor. I had to backtrack several times to correct the missing letters in my screen name. But what I really found odd was when I hit the enter button to log in, I immediately lost my network connection. And I looked up at the tv and saw that MY laptop had also lost the connection. I have often noticed that my laptop will show that I am not connected to our network, even though I still have the internet connection, which means the network connection is still there. What I mean is, the computer shows "no internet access" while it still shows the network connection to Uverse, which is still connected to the internet.

3) That same session, I came to H2G to check for responses. The second I logged on, I saw the cmd.exe black window open up and then disappear. This was so quick that I would have missed it if I had blinked. To my knowledge, that program should not run on my computer unless I initiate it. Unless, of course it is being initiated remotely.

4) My girlfriend doesn't use her laptop very much, so she either doesn't recognize the issues it is having or she simply doesn't complain, like I do, about them. Yet her issues are in the same areas that mine are: slow loading Windows and recognizing the network connection, and lagging text editor issues. I have not used her laptop enough to know if she has the same non-responsive issues with program windows and browser windows. And if my issues are being explained by my corrupt HD, then how does she have these identical issues?

5) Almost every time I shutdown my laptop I get the "Waiting on background programs to close" message. The program list field is always blank, until just before the computer shuts down. Then, something pops into that field for just a millisecond before the screen disappears. This happens so fast, I cannot focus on it. I do remember it saying "Host Window".

and,
    6) One of the issues I've been having, which involves several different web sites, is the screen name and password retention functions, "Keep me logged in" and "Remember Me", DO NOT always retain my information. Even though I click the boxes to use these functions each and every time I log in, the next time I return I am logged off and I have to type my information in again. Facebook has a "Keep me logged in" function. It does not keep me logged in. But the screen name and password is usually saved in the form. H2G has a "Remember Me" function. I have to type in the info each time I get logged off. YahooMail has a "Keep me logged in for 2 weeks" function. I have to type in my screen name and password half the time I go to it. That may be 4 to 5 times a day, depending on my activity. These are issues that occur on EVERY site that I must log in on.

All of these issues indicate that the issues that I have been dealing with on MY laptop are not ALL created by a corrupt hard disk. Some are also happening on my girlfriend's laptop. And one happened on both laptops at the exact same time. And no, the internet connection was not lost, by the Uverse system, at that time. All I had to do was close the browsers and open them back up again. Her laptop cannot make my laptop drop the internet signal. The system was still connected to the internet, yet each laptop showed that they were not.

SOMETHING is still going on here. I'd like to get it fixed. And one situation is undeniable proof that the network has been hacked before.

Yesterday, I had my Uverse system key(password) changed. And I have a Uverse Tech coming over to test one of the dvrs. He will also have the chance to look at these issues and determine if the Uverse portal has been hacked.

The Uverse guy came today and said that he was just a phone guy! He got my dvr working properly, but would not even look at the network issue. Said that would be for the computer police. So, I'm wondering who that is! Well.......I did change my password to the network and he said that was all I could do. He did tell me that no one could get into my network unless I gave them the password. I tried not to laugh! I'll see if this laptop stays running long enough for me to get the HD I need for it.

Guess I'll be wrapping the apartment with tin foil!

Was there ever a conclusion / solution to your network related issues at this forum.

Very Slow Network Identification and Connection - Page 2 - Windows 7 Help Forums

We have AT&T Uverse. In order to access the internet on any of the computers in my apartment, you have to be connected to the Uverse network(Wi-Fi) set up at my home. Each computer has to go through the Uverse portal, wirelessly, in order to reach outside to the internet. So it only makes since that another computer outside my home would have to enter through that same Uverse portal in order to reach inside and access any of our computers. The only other way an outside computer could access my computer is if they were close enough to pick up on our homegroup connection that each computer is networked with, which is separate from the Uverse network portal
    No, it is not really separate. The Homegroup is more like a little network within your network. And your network is everything on your side of your Uverse network device (modem/router). In order for someone to access her machine through the Homegroup, they would first have to gain access to your wireless network, and the Homegroup would have had to been setup to allow sharing.

You said you changed the passphrase to access your wireless network. That's good. I just hope it is very strong passphrase with letters, numbers and special characters. At least 10 characters long. And consider leaving the Homegroup on all computers. Then finally, get her machine fully up to date - actually, do this right away.

As far as the computer police, that is your local police department. And I would still call them tell them you are worried that your girlfriend is being stalked, then tell them about the image from her own webcam. Let them check it out. They may have one of their cybercrime people check it out too. It most likely is just some wizkid in a neighboring apartment who saw your network and guessed the passphrase. But you need to be certain it is not someone with malicious intent. If you want to wait until this new Uverse tech comes by, you need to tell him about the webcam image and if he does not convince you without a shadow of a doubt, you should still call the police. If this happened to you, it likely happened, or is happening to others in your apartment complex.

You should turn off SSID broadcasting too. This is not really an effective security measure because anyone can still see your network if they know how to look. But when you disable SSID broadcasting, at then your are not announcing to everyone you have wireless network.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Joe, there are major problems with the Dell Support system. There are virtually no instruction and no way to figure out what you are supposed to do. They put updates and drivers on your list as "Recommended" when do not apply to your system and they cannot be installed in your system. The only way I figured this out was by going to the Dell Support site after reading your reply and attempted to download the "Recommended" updates.

Another problem is the lack of proper information supplied to you by this computer. There is nothing on this computer in the system information, system properties, or anywhere else that gives me a description or maker of my Hard Drive. The only thing that can be found is "ST9500325AS". I have to Google this number in order to find out what my Hard Drive is.

Some of the Updates say that they automatically self-install after downloading. But when you click the download button to download these updates, the section that contains the list has an "INSTALL" button added to the right side, by each item downloaded. This looks like I have to install by clicking that button. How is this automatic self-installation?
    Some of the Updates require you to close all applications before continuing. That would include the internet browser, correct? Now I go back to the page and it looks as though NOTHING has been even downloaded.

Of course my system isn't updated!!! Dell makes it impossible!!! I couldn't tell you what did install, but I can tell you what didn't because the program tells me I'm trying to install things that don't belong on my computer. But Dell recommended it.

For all I know, the disk test failure is due to the lack of system updates. The tests can't get what it needs from the hard drive so it fails the tests. I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!

But to answer your question, no....nothing was resolved on Sevenforums. I was banned from the site forever, because I reacted to being treated rudely, as you can see by the answers to my requests for help on this page:
    Very Slow Network Identification and Connection - Page 2 - Windows 7 Help Forums

Please teach me how to do the link that you did on your relpy???!!!???

Digerati, thanks for that network description. The tech that came by yesterday would not even take the list of issues that made me think it was a network hacking issue. He said he was a telephone man, not a computer man. He also said that NO ONE can get through that modem/router without me giving them the password. The he said that he couldn't even find out my password on his work tablet. Then he proved himself wrong! He showed me that password on his tablet that I had changed the day before.

Gentlemen: This is a very good example of the normal way that things go in my life. I work(when I do) on a federal contract that has been split into three contract with separate companies(which makes no sense what-so-ever) and one of them is owned by a man who has been banned from doing business in the state of Texas, has a woman in California as his "owner'-front and refuses to report almost 22% of the pay to his employees. I have reported every bit of this to the IRS, and state, yet NOT ONE person will do anything about it.
    Last edited by mrick36; 06-18-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Then he proved himself wrong! He showed me that password on his tablet that I had changed the day before.
    When you say password, what exactly do you mean? And password to what?

Normally what you enter to gain access to a wireless network is called the "passphrase". To gain access to an account, like your Windows account, email account or on-line bank account is a "password".

He should not have been able to see your passphrase without logging into your router/modem - but even then he would need to know the login credentials first. Unless AT&T has a backdoor password their techs use. And that, IMO, would not be cool.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

I have never seen the word "passphrase", and you are the first to bring it up. The yellow sticker on the side of the Uverse router calls it a "Wireless Network Key". It is 10-13 digits. When I called AT&T, the the young lady helping me said I should change the "password". I asked her, "What password?" And her answer was the one to get access to the wireless network. So, I thought, "Oh, the number on the yellow sticker", not the "Verification Code" when they are trying to verify you are really who you are, or the "password" that is needed to access my AT&T account, or the one needed to access system folders on my computer, and so on.

No, this guy changed from program to program, entered something that identified ME, and came up with a screen that shows my current "Wireless Network Key". Even he didn't realize he could bring that up.

Passphrase is now taking on new meaning because too many people have been using weak passwords for critical accounts. So now many security experts are telling folks to use a passphrase for their banking and such. So instead of "Puppydog", experts are saying to use "PuppyD0g-1$_mY-Br0wn>p00d13".

What Is a Passphrase in Computer Networking?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast