Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot failure

Default Boot failure

Hi everyone, please, please could you help??? I've been asked to look at a laptop for a friend. It is a 'Acer Aspire 4810T'. The system failed on him a few weeks ago & he's asked if I could fix it (big mistake)!!!!!! He desperately wants me to at least save his photo's (no...he never backed them up) GRRR!!! I've tried booting in 'safe mode', I've tried 'system repair', I've tried booting from an external cradle, nothing works!???? Please could you advise? As far as I know he's running Windows 7 (it could actually be Windows Vista....though I reeaaallllyyy hope not), but I can't boot to find out. Any suggestions please (apart from launching it out of the window)? Thanks for your time.

He desperately wants me to at least save his photo's
    Then I would remove the drive, stick it into an enclosure, scan it for malware, then copy off the photos.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Hi Iamattam,

What do you mean by system failed? Does it boot at all. Please share with us exactly what you get from the time you press the power button. The more info you provide, the better idea we have of what is happening on your end.

Are you able to access the drive from and external enclosure? If not, the HDD might be a goner. What you can try is to put the HDD in an external enclosure as Digerati has suggested and use the portable version of Recuva to recovery the photos. This is how I do it:

Using a second computer, download and install Recuva Portable to a flash drive. Keeping the flash drive plugged into the working computer, also plug the external enclosure that houses the HDD from the other computer. Navigate to the flash drive that has recuva portable installed and from within recuva choose the storage device that is the HDD in the enclosure. If you can access the HDD in that fashion, you should be able to recover the photos.

You could also run a chkdsk on the HDD from the enclosure and using a second computer.

Might have other ideas to check the HDD on the broke computer if you can tell me exactly which OS (32 or 64-bit) is installed.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi DonnaB, thank you so much. I think the 'unwell' PC (laptop) is running windows 7 64bit. I keep getting the error message: 'cyclic redundancy check', which I'm reliably informed (I think?) means the HDD is unreadable. But I'll also try your idea of downloading 'recuva portable'...I'll let you know in a jiffy!!

When do you get that 'cyclic redundancy check' error message?
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

I've had the message when attempting to connect the 'faulty' HDD to a working PC via an external enclosure. I've had the same message when I've tried scanning the faulty HDD for malware & viruses.

Will the computer boot to the desktop at all? If so, that error is an indication that data on the hard-drive is corrupt. We might be able to do a checkdisk to fix it.

Will it boot to the Advanced Boot Options menu by pressing the F8 key as soon as you see the Acer logo? If so, we can access the recovery console from there to perform a checkdisk.

Ok I'll try.......might take me a while.....I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience & understanding.

Ok. That's fine. Time is not a problem.

If you can get it to boot to the desktop go to Start and type cmd into the start search field then Right on cmd.exe and choose [b]Run as administrator.
    Next type chkdsk /r (please note the space between k /r) then press the Enter key.

You may get the following message:

Windows can't check the disk while it's in use.
    Do you want to check for hard disk errors the next time you
    start your computer ?

Press the Y key and reboot. Checkdisk should run on reboot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Option 2 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If booting normally fails, yet you can boot the computer to the Advanced Boot Options, please do the following:

Navigate with your arrow keys to Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt
    • Select Command Prompt
    • In the command window type in chkdsk /r and press Enter.

The rest should be self explanatory...

If that doesn't work, I do have another trick up me sleeve, but we will need a usb flash drive, so keep me informed to your progress.

Donna

Hi DonnaB....I've followed your instructions but.....no joy. I've tried just about everything, I'm completely out of ideas. You said you have another trick up your sleeve? I'll try anything if it works. I await your trick with anticipation. Thanks for your help so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast