Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Startup Programs Changed Location?

This is my desktop, an HP Pavilion a6430f. I have not been able to use the "Change Startup Programs" in Control Panel for several years because when I click on it I get this little message:

Startup Programs error.jpg

It seems as though the startup programs somehow found a new home!

I went searching for their location and found them at C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, but the ones that load on the taskbar and slow my startup are not there.

Where should the "Change Startup Programs" link take me to? How do I fix its operation?

More details:
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 8400 Triple-Core Processor
    Memory: 2.9 GB
    CPU speed: 2.1 GHz

BTW, I have just discovered that if you do not login to check for responses to your post, you only see a link, and not a thumbnail, of the picture you attach to your post. I mention this because that might be the source of a problem that I had with Digerati. How does another person see your attachment on your post? Is it not shown as a thumbnail when they are looking at your post? Or is it shown to them as a link, as it does if you are not logged in? THIS could be something that caused him to think I was being sarcastic or rude when I responded to his reply. Being relatively new at this site, I do not know all the little intricacies with the site. FYI!
    Last edited by mrick36; 07-03-2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: More details

Hello,

What operating system is the desktop running?

if you do not login to check for responses to your post, you only see a link, and not a thumbnail, of the picture you attach to your post.
    That is normal for the forum software.

Where should the "Change Startup Programs" link take me to? How do I fix its operation?
    I do not have that feature on my windows 7, I'm unable to explain what is does or is supposed to do.

C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, but the ones that load on the taskbar and slow my startup are not there.
    Those file paths are correct;

There are two folders, one for "All Users" which is located at

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

and another one for your personal user account, which is located at

C:\Users\"User Name"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

So if your account name is Darryl, it should be located at

C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Those folders are normally empty unless you add a program to the folder that you wish to have start on boot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Okay! Now I'm really confused about what others see on this site.

What operating system is the desktop running?
    That information is in my post.

More details:
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 8400 Triple-Core Processor
    Memory: 2.9 GB
    CPU speed: 2.1 GHz

I know this site has problems, but I do not know to what extent. Do others see my posted picture as a link or a thumbnail? This question is one of the sources of Digerati's frustrations with me.

I have heard that Windows Defender handles the Startup Programs for Windows Vista. I have searched for the location of the file that Windows Vista is looking for, but I cannot find it anywhere. The file that I posted does not contain the programs that are loading on my taskbar when I startup. All these loading programs are very slow to load and make me wait for them before doing anything else. What the error message says is that Windows can't find the file, but the file location on the error message is incomplete.

I will look for that specific file location in your response when I get home this morning. Thanks for your response!
    Last edited by mrick36; 07-05-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Windows Defender is gone. All that is left is an empty shortcut. I've gone to Microsoft to find out how to reinstall, since my computer doesn't realize it is gone. Thanks for looking at this Joe!

Hello,

Do others see my posted picture as a link or a thumbnail
    You must be logged in to the web site to see the picture of the posted image.

The file that I posted does not contain the programs that are loading on my taskbar when I startup.
    I already know that the files are in a registry run key, there not listed in any folder so stop looking.

Some of the start up programs can be seen in msconfig, but not all, and to let you know, msconfig does not manage the programs that start up with windows.

I use a third party program to manage start up programs called Hijackthis, So lets downloadload Hijackthis and identify all the start up programs that you say are in the task manager. Hijackthis will also identify other start ups that may not be in the task manager.

Yes. Some people use windows defender for start ups, I'm not familiar with that process.

Download HijackThis

• Go Here to download HijackThis program
    • Save HijackThis to your desktop.
    • Right Click on Hijackthis and select "Run as Admin"
    • Click on "Do A system scan and save a logfile" (if you do not see "Do A system scan and save a logfile" then click on main menu)
    • copy and paste hijackthis report into the topic

Apparently Vista uses it for startup programs. Take a look at the picture I posted. What the picture shows is that I clicked the "Change Startup Programs" link in Control Panel and it returned an error message that refers to an incomplete file location. Clicking this link should take me to a place, or program, that allows me to add or remove programs that startup when Windows is started up. This is not to be confused with changing which programs are on the Start Menu. Startup programs and Start Menu programs are not the same thing. The locations that we have discussed here are Start Menu programs locations, and there is a folder in that location(C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) that is labelled "Startup" and another labelled Administrative Tools. BOTH of these folders are empty.

I say all this because when you look up this problem in Windows Community, you find a lot of answers that suggest how to change Start Menu programs. There are also a lot of answers that explain that Windows Defender CANNOT be uninstalled. Yet, this explanation doesn't take into consideration that it CAN BE DELETED. And MICROSOFT has NO answer for such a deletion. After reading the HiJackThis results, I see that you already understood the difference in the two program identifications.
    Last edited by mrick36; 07-05-2015 at 07:39 PM. Reason: further explanation

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.5
    Scan saved at 7:25:48 PM, on 7/5/2015
    Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16659)

FIREFOX: 38.0.5 (x86 en-US)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.7.0.11\NIS.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\On-Screen OSD Indicator\OSD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe
    C:\Windows\vVX3000.exe
    C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuschd2.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqbam08.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgpc01.exe
    C:\hp\kbd\kbd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\DllHost.exe
    C:\Users\Darryl\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
    C:\Users\Darryl\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Bing
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://att.yahoo.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = AOL - News, Sports, Weather, Entertainment, Local & Lifestyle
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = Bing
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Bing
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = AOL - News, Sports, Weather, Entertainment, Local & Lifestyle
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 a1.review.zdnet.com
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 reviews.riverstreams.co.uk
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 d1.reviews.cnet.com
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 review.2009softwarereviews.com
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 reviews.download.com
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 reviews.pcadvisor.co.uk
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 reviews.pcmag.com
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 reviews.pcpro.co.uk
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 reviews.techradar.com
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 toptenreviews.com
    O1 - Hosts: 208.43.47.212 www.reevoo.com
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Norton Identity Protection - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.7.0.11\coIEPlg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Norton Vulnerability Protection - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.7.0.11\IPS\IPSBHO.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Bing Bar Helper - {d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\BingBar\7.3.132.0\BingExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\YTSingleInstance.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Bing Bar - {8dcb7100-df86-4384-8842-8fa844297b3f} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\BingBar\7.3.132.0\BingExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.7.0.11\coIEPlg.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KbdStub.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OsdMaestro] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\On-Screen OSD Indicator\OSD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] [ProgramFilesFolder]Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YSearchProtection] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VX3000] C:\Windows\vVX3000.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LifeCam] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft LifeCam\LifeExp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark 3100 Series] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 3100 Series\lxbrbmgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HPAdvisor] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe view=DOCKVIEW,SYSTRAY
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Facebook Update] "C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Local\Facebook\Update\FacebookUpdate.exe" /c /nocrashserver
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PC Suite Tray] "C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\PCSuite.exe" -onlytray
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series (NET)] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe" -deviceID "CN28R6CSF205PJ:NW" -scfn "HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series (NET)" -AutoStart 1
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O9 - Extra button: ieSpell - {0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell - {0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell Options - {1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1004 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1003 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - (no file)
    O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
    O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: SAS Core Service (!SASCORE) - SUPERAntiSpyware.com - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASCORE.EXE
    O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c9f9092eaad82b) (gupdate1c9f9092eaad82b) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Support Solutions Framework Service (HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Hp\Common\HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe
    O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\Windows\System32\LEXBCES.EXE
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    O23 - Service: McciCMService - Motive Communications, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive\McciCMService.exe
    O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security (NIS) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.7.0.11\NIS.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
    O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
    End of file - 10618 bytes

These are the programs that are starting up every time you start windows.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KbdStub.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OsdMaestro] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\On-Screen OSD Indicator\OSD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] [ProgramFilesFolder]Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YSearchProtection] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VX3000] C:\Windows\vVX3000.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LifeCam] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft LifeCam\LifeExp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark 3100 Series] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 3100 Series\lxbrbmgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HPAdvisor] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe view=DOCKVIEW,SYSTRAY
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Facebook Update] "C:\Users\Darryl\AppData\Local\Facebook\Update\FacebookUpdate.exe" /c /nocrashserver
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PC Suite Tray] "C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\PCSuite.exe" -onlytray
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series (NET)] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe" -deviceID "CN28R6CSF205PJ:NW" -scfn "HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series (NET)" -AutoStart 1
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    Also in the log you have:
    O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security (NIS) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.7.0.11\NIS.exe

Two Anti Virus programs, this can really slow things down. un- Install the one you're not using. I can stop the start up programs using Hijackthis.

What's this---->http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
    Last edited by zep516; 07-05-2015 at 08:41 PM.

I installed MSE today hoping that it would fix my problem, but it doesn't. I had to manually disable Norton while I installed MSE. Norton is a very intrusive program. I sort of like that because it gets my attention about possible threats, even though that might be my doorbell ringing. I think I might un-install MSE until I decide whether Norton is worth paying for every year.

The programs that hold me up at the startup are HPAdvisor, msnmsgr, YahooMessenger, and PCSuite.

None of those programs need to run

Did you see this > Stop an Application from Running at Startup in Windows Vista

I'd rather use Hijackthis to do this, but take a look at the link above

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast