Default Adobe Flash disabled on FF & Google

As I'm sure everyone is now aware, Mozilla and Google have automatically disabled Adobe Flash due to serious security issues.

The following link explains how to manually disable Flash Player on various browsers : You Should Disable Adobe Flash Player Now: Here's How

So, rather than just disable, do you think it would be best to uninstall Flash Player altogether until (if) these issues are fixed? And what on earth do we use to view videos in the meantime? I can't view videos on the BBC and other news sites so more than a bit annoying! I use FF so no video content at all is available at the moment although youtube videos are still playing normally - does this mean that they don't use flash player?

Advice, as always, truly appreciated!

Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Keeping it disabled should be sufficient. Adobe was supposed to be updated this week for flash, but I would need to check that. Many YouTube videos will play using HTML5 in supported browsers.

Edit.....

Security researchers have discovered vulnerabilities in recent versions of Adobe Flash that have not been patched yet by Adobe but are exploited in the wild. In particular, several exploit kits are already making use of it to serve crypto-ransomware to systems running Adobe Flash.

If this is true then we need to be very Leary, you do not want crypto-ransomware it will encrypt all your files. There currently is no fix for the encryption and I don't see one coming soon if ever ! And as a reminder important files, pictures, etc need to be backed up.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/14/moz...sh-in-firefox/

I'll keep you updated, I have had to get away from the computer for a bit and I'm not fully up to date on this Adobe flash issue.....
    Last edited by zep516; 07-16-2015 at 09:08 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Hi Joe

Flash just updated to v. 18.0.0.209 and no longer blocked by FF (all versions up to 18.0.0.203 were added to the blocklist). So now videos working (except on a couple of news sites which haven't been working for over a week even before flash was blocked and are still not working for some unknown reason).

I came across mention that Youtube uses HTML5 and not flash which is why it was working OK - do you know if that's correct?

So ... although flash is working again now, is it still vulnerable? Do you think it would be best to disable it or even remove it completely? It does seem to be pretty weak from a security point of view - or am I misreading the information?

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Hello,

I came across mention that Youtube uses HTML5 and not flash which is why it was working OK - do you know if that's correct?
    That's correct and Mozilla supports HTML5, I have not tried it yet with Palemoon browser.

Re: flash

It's pretty weak from a security stand point. All the malware writers know that almost everyone has it installed. If you can get by without it then perhaps that's the best approach to uninstall it. I still have flash and thinking about ditching it like I did with Java and adobe reader.......

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Sorry Joe, I meant to answer this the other day and forgot I hadn't done it

I take your point about security and if you're thinking of removing it that's good enough for me,|I shall follow suit. I have it on two machines so I'll try uninstalling from one first and see if it interferes with the sites I visit regularly. I also removed java and adobe reader ages ago and got on just fine without them.

For anyone who wants to uninstall flashplayer, here are the instructions :

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player...r-windows.html (with links to an uninstaller)

How to Uninstall and Disable Flash in Every Web Browser

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11