Default Crash After Windows update from 8 to 10

We installed the Windows 10 from Windows 8 on 2 year old laptop. It was working fine for a few months. Now I get to the start up screen and then it goes black. MicroCenter said they can back it up to my external hard drive for $100 and reset to Windows 8 and then if I wanted Windows 10 again (originally free) they would charge me $29.99.

It does need to be backed up for photos to be saved before clearing it off. Is this the best option ? Per http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...-upgrade-paths It looks like one device gets one time Windows 10. Are they scamming me?

How do I know this isn't just a hack or a virus? Thank you!!
    Last edited by lives4pizza; 10-20-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I suggest you contact the Microsoft help center (1-800-668-7975 toll free) and check with them. To install Win 10 their help is free. I've used them when there was a problem with connecting to internet ..

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much. I'll let you know my outcome.

Microsoft walked me through pressing f8 over and over while turning on. No change. Does start up from a recovery disk, Windows 8, delete all data and take back to factory settings? Would removing the battery help anything for black screen?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Would removing the battery help anything for black screen?
    No I don't think so .. is the laptop keeping good time (lower right corner)? If not, I suppose it could be, but on a 2 year old laptop, doubtful. I'll bring this post to the attention of our expert spyware fighters and get their opinion on this.

Hi lives4pizza,

Microsoft walked me through pressing f8 over and over while turning on. No change.
    What do you mean by "No change?" Were you able to get to the Choose an option screen?

You said you were able to boot with the recovery disc. Was this recovery disc created from\for this particular laptop?

Do you have a second computer available and a USB flash drive that is at least 4GB's in size we could use that has no important files saved to it?

I'll post further instructions once the above questions are answered.

Thank you,
    Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

I did try taking battery out and returned. I then just got the Toshiba start and the a black screen (no lights behind screen). I called Toshiba. They said it was not a software problem but now the mother board and I should send to them. Oh my!

Replacing a motherboard is not cheap, especially since the laptop is out of warranty. Did they say how much it would cost to replace? What other symptoms did you experience just before this happened?

What you said could also be caused by malware. Do you get the cursor on the black screen?

Something else you could try is to take out the battery and unplug the power adapter. Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds then plug in the power adapter only and try to boot the laptop. Does it boot to windows?

I would still like to know if you are able to boot to the Choose an option screen by pressing the F8?

Just trying to save you a few $$$$. If you prefer not to try and would rather send it into Toshiba, let me know..
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post: