Blog Entries

Default Replacing Vista OS with Win 8.1

I am running an older Dell Dimension E521 PC with Windows Vista Home premium OS and AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core processor at 3600Ghz, 32 bit OS.
    Can anyone advise if my WinPro 8.1 64 bit OS software can be installed and replace the Vista OS? I probably could replace the entire PC but I only use if for emailing, online classes etc. Don't want to spend allot of money if its not necessary but I don't want to blow out my Vista OS and have nothing if the WinPro won't work.
    Thanks in advance.

See here,

Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows Vista or Windows XP - Windows Help

My thoughts ... I would not install WinPro 8.1 64Bit on an old Dell dimension E521 PC, because it's an old Dell Dimension and may run into problems any day.

See link above run the win 8 upgrade assistance tool..

Also I don't believe that is a 64Bit processor on the Dell Dimension that you would need to support WIN 8 64Bit processing.

Joe
    Last edited by zep516; 10-23-2015 at 08:17 PM.

You can run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor, but not a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit processor.

Not sure if the following could be of some assistance or not:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 microprocessor family

I don't want to blow out my Vista OS and have nothing if the WinPro won't work.
    Do you have recovery disks? You could also clone the drive using Macrium Reflect. I have never cloned a drive myself though they do have a support forum that could guide you here.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"