Thread: Updates

Default Updates

I get constant messages on my pc asking me to update my files. When I checked apparently there are over 40 to be updated, urgent and some not. I also get separate Skype message to update. I just ex out the messages because I was told by a friend "never update, except any Windows messages". I am a beginner. HELP please.

Hi cyn-trem,

Did your friend give you reason why not to allow Windows Updates to download and install? There are pros and cons to Windows Updates, but most important you must keep your system up to date with the latest security patches to prevent infection and there are some really nasty ones in the wild that could turn your computer into a very expensive doorstop if not protected. Even if your Anti-virus is kept up to date with the latest definitions your system could become infected with malware.

We here at Help2Go would be more than happy to educate you in regards to computer security.

Before we go further, I would like for you to follow the instructions below. This program will generate a log report that provides the information I need to guide you further in your quest for knowledge.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop. <<< Very Important!

Note: You will need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version (32 or 64-bit) applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Make sure that FRST is on the desktop of the infected system
    • Right click and choose Run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
    • Please copy and paste log back here.
    • The first time the tool is run it generates a second log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Thank you for your post, Donna. I am afraid that, as a beginner, it's all beyond me! I have
    updated Windows but it is all the other updates I wonder about. But thanks anyway for your advice. Cyn

Which updates, cyn? If you would like to jot down the KB numbers of the updates, I would be more than happy to tell you if you need them or not.
    Recently, Microsoft was trying to force Windows users an upgrade to Windows 10 for those computers that had Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 installed. I am concerned that this might be one of the updates you are referring to. If this is the case, I would like to help you get rid of it so it does not nag you to upgrade to Windows 10 if you don't want to.

What operating system is installed on your computer?
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Which updates, cyn? If you would like to jot down the KB numbers of the updates, I would be more than happy to tell you if you need them or not.
    Recently, Microsoft was trying to force Windows users an upgrade to Windows 10 for those computers that had Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 installed. I am concerned that this might be one of the updates you are referring to. If this is the case, I would like to help you get rid of it so it does not nag you to upgrade to Windows 10 if you don't want to.

What operating system is installed on your computer?

Thanks for the warning about Windows 10, Donna. I have 7 and dont like it at all so will look out for any updates from Windows. Since starting this thread I have not had any more messages about updates! And that after weeks and weeks of being bothered. I am getting reminders that Skype needs to be updated, but when I clicked to agree (thinking that was a safe one), I was asked if I agree to changes in my computer. I clicked NO. I am still getting reminders to update Skype. How do I stop these bothersome update requests? Thanks for your help. Cyn

I love my Windows 7 and was very upset when Microsoft sent out that W10 upgrade trying to force people to upgrade. So many of my friends and family had big troubles when they allowed the upgrade (others didn't), so now I do my best to warn people about it. My daughter in law allowed it and it trashed her computer. She didn't know any better not to allow the upgrade.

I had about 22 updates install on my Win7 last night as well. Yesterday was what is called Patch Tuesday and that is the second Tuesday of every month.

How do I stop these bothersome update requests?
    Do you use Skype? If so, to stop the nagging request to update, go ahead and allow the update. To be on the safe side and make sure it is a legit request to update, open up Skype and click on Help in the menu. There should be an option in there for you to click to Check for Updates. It is always best to update any software from the user control panel of the software program itself because malware can and will disguise itself as a legitimate software update.

If you do not have the Skype shortcut icon on your desktop or in your taskbar, please do the following to find the program on your computer.

Click on your Start orb and type Skype into the Start Search field. Click on the Skype in the list that pops up to open the program.