Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I reinstall Windows 8 with the same, or a diferent product key?

Hi everyone. Please can you advise.....I want to format my hard drive & reinstall windows 8. Firstly, do I have to format the hard drive a set number of times to make sure it is completely wiped clean & everything is obliterated? Secondly, can I reinstall windows 8 with the original disc that I have, with the original product key, or will I have to obtain a new product key? Thanks.

This would be a good one for donnab.

I'll get her attention for you.

Thanks
    Joe

Hi Iamattam,

can I reinstall windows 8 with the original disc that I have, with the original product key,
    Is this a retail disk that you bought that came with that product key? If so, yes, you can use that disk and that product key.
    What operating system was originally installed?
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi DonnaB.......Windows 8 was originally installed. The machine (HP) is somehow configured for Windows 8. I purchased the windows installation disc from 'Curry's PC world', it came with the product key. Also please....is there a set number of times to format the hard drive so as to completely annihilate everything successfully? Thank you for your time on this.

Hi Iamattam,

You only need to use the disk once to reformat the hard drive.

Couple of questions, if you don't mind...

I am curious as to why you bought the retail disk if W8 was already installed on the hard drive. If you wanted to reformat, you could have used the recovery partition that is included with the HP at purchase.

1.) Refresh will restore to factory yet save all your personal files.
    2.) Reset will wipe the drive and restore to factory.

See here for more information.

Did you create the recovery media when you purchased the HP?

If you use the retail disk it will wipe out the recovery partition and you will need to go searching for the HP drivers. If you reset from with the recovery environment you will only need to remove whatever pre-installed software you don't want and reinstall the software you do want.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hi DonnaB....really sorry but my ignorance is awful.....what do you mean by, "If you reset from with the recovery environment you will only need to remove whatever pre-installed software you don't want and reinstall the software you do want". Sorry to be a pain but could you please explain?

Hi Iamattam,

Sorry to be a pain but could you please explain?
    I would be more than happy to explain. Not a problem at all....

"If you reset from with the recovery environment you will only need to remove whatever pre-installed software you don't want and reinstall the software you do want".
    First of all that was supposed to be within. My apologies. I forgot the "in" part..

All computer manufacturers are paid to install what is referred to as bloatware, which is unwanted software included on a new computer by the manufacturer.

You said that your computer is an HP. Following is a link that includes a list of software that HP tends to install on their computers:

HP Bloatware - Should I Remove It?

You probably noticed that a trial version of an Anti-virus, such as Norton or McAfee, was preinstalled on your computer when you bought it too.

Many times computer manufacturers will preinstall software such as Adobe Reader which is a PDF reader ( I am sure you have heard of it). I prefer FoxIt PDF reader, so when I get a new computer, I uninstall Adobe Reader (because I don't want it) and install FoxIt reader.

I also have a program called Malwarebytes Antimalware that I personally installed, along with other software programs as McShield (which is a piece of software that detects if USB flashdrives are infected), and also a program called Cryptoprevent that helps to protect my personal files from being encrypted by ransomware file encryptors.

Now, if I decide to reinstall my operating system from within the recovery environment, once the process is complete, I would have to uninstall Adobe Reader again (because I don't want it) then reinstall FoxIt PDF Reader, and since Malwarebytes Antimalware, Cryptoprevent and McShield did not come preinstalled I would have to reinstall that software as well since I do want those programs.

Does that answer your question? If not, let me know and I will do my best to help you understand that you have a choice of what is and is not installed on your computer.

Iamattam.. why do you want to reinstall your operating system?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hi DonnaB....thank you for all the information which I am processing & working through according to my needs. I wanted to reinstall Windows 8 because I'd inadvertently picked up a load of debris which I couldn't seem to get rid of. I decided to go for broke & reinstall the whole thing. However, for some reason (?) I couldn't reinstall Windows 8, which really gutted me, so I had to settle for a reset....this is ok but not what I intended. Thank you again for your help.

You're welcome Iamattam.

I'd inadvertently picked up a load of debris which I couldn't seem to get rid of.
    I am not sure if you know this or not, but Joe (zep516) and I were trained by experts in the field of removal of malware, spyware, bloatware, etc., etc., that could render your system unstable and/or totally useless. Either of us would be more than happy to provide you with instructions on how to download special tools that we use to diagnosis computer problems and fix those problems. What we do could save your a lot of money and we do it for free, out of the kindness of our hearts. I believe that if you have a skill that could help others, it should be shared to make others' life easier.

If you would like, have a look in our Spyware Help forum to see what we do. I see Joe (zep516) is helping a fella here removal some malware using tools (scanners) that we use to diagnosis infection.

Let me know if you would agree to have me take a look using our scanner tools and see if I can help before you reinstall.

The scanning tools are perfectly safe to use on your computer.

Hi DonnaB........thanks very much, all of you are really so helpful. I've now reset my system & its working good (at the moment)!!! I'm choosing not to do a reinstall but if I grow tired of it I might attempt a reinstall later, though this will be much later if at all. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast