Thread: Lost files

Default Lost files

Please can you help? I seem to have lost some files whilst resetting my computer back to factory settings. I'm sure I backed everything up but I just can't find them, I think they're lost, though I hope not. I think I've asked this question before but is there a program that can search the hard drive & retrieve lost data? Thank you for your help.

Hi Iamattam,

Do you remember where you saved the files to? If you saved it to the hard drive on that computer they may have been written over. You should always save files to a USB drive or to an external hard drive and not on the hard drive of the computer.

The more you use the Computer once the files have been deleted, the less chance of recovering them with any program, because the deleted Files are quickly overwritten.

What I always suggest is as follows:

Using a second computer to download and install Recuva Portable (second green download button) to a flash drive, then running it from the flash drive on the computer that has the lost files seems to be the safest way to get the best success.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hi again, Iamattam. Just wondering if there is a folder on your hard drive called windows.old. Anytime you reset your computer to factory condition this folder is created on your hard drive. Should be C:\windows.old. I do believe it might contain personal files from before the computer was reset. See if you can find that, then click to open it and see what is inside. If it is there, do not delete this folder till everything in the folder has been transferred to your desktop.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"